Home sleep study vs hospital sleep study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
winnie

Re: Home sleep study vs hospital sleep study

Post by winnie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:54 am

Morbius wrote:
winnie wrote:The DME phoned on Thursday and told me the Resmed F10 for her they ordered for me is in... I had made up my mind to go ahead and buy the damned thing since my extended health plan will pay 95% of the exorbitant price the DME is charging ($2300).
Yeah that's a bit steep.

You should get it from cpap.com as they only charge 149$:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... gQod2zMA0Q

I'm in Canada and cpap.com won't sell Resmed to Canada because of some sort agreement with resmed. I don't remember what the DME is charging me for a mask. I think it might be $300 or something . Thev $2300 is for the machine.
Last edited by winnie on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

k_ogre

Post by k_ogre » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:52 am

have it shipped to the hotel I work @ in Port Angeles when It comes spend the night and pick it up save a bundle.

winnie

Post by winnie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 pm

k_ogre wrote:have it shipped to the hotel I work @ in Port Angeles when It comes spend the night and pick it up save a bundle.
Hmmm...maybe that is a possibility. I wonder if I would have to pay duty to bring it across the border. I live in Kamloops, which is not near the border, but I visit my daughter in Victoria every summer and I could take the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles. Of course that might cost more than buying it locally!

winnie

Post by winnie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Morbius wrote:
winnie wrote:What sort of file do I put in dropbox?
Either all the files from the SD card or the export from SH.

OK, I put the stuff from the Resmed card on dropbox. Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0uc4jjavq3cx ... d.zip?dl=0

winnie

Post by winnie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:39 pm

Here is my data from last night. I couldn't sleep, so I took the mask off for awhile, then changed the pressure range to 6-8 (It had been 4 - 16). I got back to sleep and woke up feeling surprisingly refreshed. And I didn't have ANY OA events. (I had 1 hypopnea). This is the first time I haven't had an OA event flagged by the machine. Could those higher pressures have been causing the OA events?

ImageApril 6 2015 by pug_gramma, on Flickr

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Just buy from secondwindcpap.com; they are selling brand new machines with two year warrenty. You'll pay even less than cpap.com. Don't need a perscription! Real nice people!

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:12 pm

winnie wrote:Could those higher pressures have been causing the OA events?
Perhaps. High pressures could be disturbing your sleep.

In this example from April 2, the first event appears to be a central apnea (there are 2 monstrous breaths, so the pause is normal because you don't have to take another breath. Try it!).

The other events look like SWJ.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 pm

In this area, however, the 2 hypopneas (blue dots) are correct. There is progressive flow limitation terminated by an "arousal" (bunch of deep breaths):

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:26 pm

I think both of these events are central. The second one is surrounded by junk, and the first one appears out of the blue. However, since the first one has preceding flow limitation, and there are resuscitive breaths after the event, it could easily be obstructive (that's the problem when there are no effort belts):

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Morbius wrote:
winnie wrote:Could those higher pressures have been causing the OA events?
Perhaps. High pressures could be disturbing your sleep.

In this example from April 2, the first event appears to be a central apnea (there are 2 monstrous breaths, so the pause is normal because you don't have to take another breath. Try it!).

The other events look like SWJ.
So the first event is a probably central because there are 2 monstrous breaths before it. It is also likely to be a post-arousal event because of those 2 monstrous breaths before it?

What about the other two apneas and the hypopnea that are scored in this snippet?

winnie

Post by winnie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks very much , Morbius. I'm wondering what SWJ is, and what the significance of the central apnea is.

I'm wondering if I need CPAP. The people at the DME seem to be idiots, and I don't think my family doctor knows that much about it either. I'm going to have to contact the hospital directly to get the results of the sleep study. My doctor seems to be semi retired or something now, and it takes weeks to get an appointment. The hospital requires a fax before they will give anything out. Not an email, a letter or a phone call. It has to be a fax. I think they do this because they know most people don't have fax machines so it cuts down on requests.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:43 am

robysue wrote:
Morbius wrote:The other events look like SWJ.
So the first event is a probably central because there are 2 monstrous breaths before it. It is also likely to be a post-arousal event because of those 2 monstrous breaths before it?

What about the other two apneas and the hypopnea that are scored in this snippet?
Comment hiding after image.

Right, the "central" is probably post arousal.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:00 am

winnie wrote:Thanks very much , Morbius. I'm wondering what SWJ is, and what the significance of the central apnea is.

I'm wondering if I need CPAP. The people at the DME seem to be idiots, and I don't think my family doctor knows that much about it either. I'm going to have to contact the hospital directly to get the results of the sleep study. My doctor seems to be semi retired or something now, and it takes weeks to get an appointment. The hospital requires a fax before they will give anything out. Not an email, a letter or a phone call. It has to be a fax. I think they do this because they know most people don't have fax machines so it cuts down on requests.
SWJ is Sleep Wake Junk (a term I invented), used to describe single channel data that appears to contaminated by Wake, Movement, Earthquake, etc.

You can send a fax with your computer.

The long sleep study reports will be helpful and a good start. However, it may be necessary to get the raw data and do a similar review to insure that that analysis was not subject to shoddy review. Tell them you have some guy on the internet. That always goes over big.

As noted previously, need to see the effect of the lag movements and look at overall sleep quality.

BTW, unable to look at the night of the 21st (where you had that elevated AHI) and those other areas because the most recent D/L only has the most recent 4 nights of detailed data. If we want to do that we'll need the export of the folder from ResScan or SH.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 am

Here is an area that you would pass over as "Good Sleep", but is not. 6 "sleep" breaths are apparently disturbed by arousal (there is no indication of FL or any other SDB) and the pattern roughly repeats. These could be from PLMs (which tend to be at the beginning of the night):

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:21 am

Backing out to 30 minute view, the breathing irregularity at the beginning of the night is again noted, but look at the last hour of sleep in Navigation Graph, where there are several areas of very stable breathing (despite those events), so where you're going "Omigod! My sleep is bad in the morning!" I'm going "Omigod! Your sleep is good is the morning!"

While PLMs can do this, so can a lot of other stuff, and admittedly, one needs substantial artistic license to do one-channel sleep analysis...