OSA in perspective (mine)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HappyHoser

OSA in perspective (mine)

Post by HappyHoser » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:58 pm

Just came home from my dme suppliers office with a new mask and wanted to share a thought. I have admittedly been very fortunate with my own therapy although I got here via hospitalization and heart failure so I think I can say I did it the hard way. As I sat waiting for my RT, I looked around at all the supplies and fixtures, wheelchairs and scooters etc... and I was reminded how small a problem OSA is compared to what some people are experiencing in their lives. Sure, it's a sneaky and very dangerous disease but for most of us the therapy involves an overpriced vacuum cleaner and not much else. OSA therapy doesn't result in loss of quality of life, in fact just the opposite. I personally believe in God and tonight I was reminded to thank him for my disease, and to direct my prayers to medically less fortunate ones. Just my perspective.

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Quothe Janet (my wife) "Those are good thoughts, Doug."

Liam, quoting his wife, as he has no words of his own.

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:49 am

Doug,

Have a coworker that was just told that her battle with cancer is over, it won. She only has a few weeks left. OSA is nothing.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:03 am

Doug,

That's why you are the "Happy" Hoser. Through my wifes profession I have seen many people near the end of their life (and also after the end). Pespective is everything. Many of the most inspiring conversations I've had in my life are with these people that are looking death in the face. I see the families of those "Happy" inspiring people celebrate their life after their gone. Of course there are many tears, but much of those are tears of joy. All of us can look at what we don't have and be sad or look at what we do have and be happy..."Happy Hosers"
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

littlebaddow

Re: OSA in perspective (mine)

Post by littlebaddow » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:46 am

HappyHoser wrote: OSA therapy doesn't result in loss of quality of life, in fact just the opposite.
Powerful thought, thanks Doug. For those still struggling to adapt to the therapy, this is well worth hanging on to.

Liam1965

Re: OSA in perspective (mine)

Post by Liam1965 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:44 am

HappyHoser wrote: OSA therapy doesn't result in loss of quality of life, in fact just the opposite.
Exactly, and for the guys it has an added benefit. What guy hasn't wanted a longer hose at some point in his life?

Liam, who really, seriously, needs to cut back on the "hose" jokes.

jberken

Post by jberken » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:00 pm

Liam,

I don't get it

jjb

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:04 pm

jberken wrote:Liam,

I don't get it

jjb
This merely means you aspire to a higher level of taste and decorum than my humor usually does. This is a good thing.

Every time one of my jokes goes over your head, take a moment to bow your head and thank whatever deity you believe controls the universe that you are a classy individual, and not a common thug such as myself.

Liam, tasteless, like a fast food hamburger, but less fattening.

jberken

Post by jberken » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:09 pm

This merely means you aspire to a higher level of taste and decorum than my humor usually does.

don't bet on it.

jjb, who was making his own (bad) hose joke...