Any Way To Lessen Noise From Mask Flaps Closing (rubber flaps inside the elbow) As Machine Is Ramping Up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chuck29

Any Way To Lessen Noise From Mask Flaps Closing (rubber flaps inside the elbow) As Machine Is Ramping Up

Post by chuck29 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:39 pm

Hello All,

I am using a ResMed AirCurve 11 in VAuto Mode, no Ramp. Tonight I will be using in S Mode with Ramp turned on as my pressure is S Mode is 18/12. When testing Ramp today (and many times before), there is a noticeable clicking noise every time when I breathe in.

This noise comes from the flaps inside the elbow connecting the ResMed AirFit F20 to the tube. If I start machine without Ramp, this only last for a few seconds.

So the lower pressure is causing the flaps to close.

This clicking prevents me from falling asleep. I even use earplugs or earbuds.

I want to use Ramp tonight. So, silly question, is there ANY way to avoid the clicking.

Thanks!

ozij

Re: Any Way To Lessen Noise From Mask Flaps Closing (rubber flaps inside the elbow) As Machine Is Ramping Up

Post by ozij » Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:55 pm

The flaps should snap shut once and not open unless there's no pressure.

Those are the full face mask's "anti asphyxia valves". Their job it to fall open if there's no therapy pressure. If they don't snap shut when therapy pressure starts, blow out firmly while making sure there's no leak. They should then snap shut, and stay shut.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

chuck29

Re: Any Way To Lessen Noise From Mask Flaps Closing (rubber flaps inside the elbow) As Machine Is Ramping Up

Post by chuck29 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:21 pm

ozij wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:55 pm

Those are the full face mask's "anti asphyxia valves". Their job it to fall open if there's no therapy pressure. If they don't snap shut when therapy pressure starts, blow out firmly while making sure there's no leak. They should then snap shut, and stay shut.
Will do! I also have another AirFit F20 that I recall was doing the same, but I will try that one too.

But yes, let me try to blow out firmly. Thanks ozij!

chuck29

Post by chuck29 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:30 pm

ozij wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:55 pm

I'll give it more time tonight. But I did try blowing several times, and also used my 2nd AitFit F20. Still had the issue.

I waited for the IPAP/EPAPs to build up to 4.3/12.3 and once it reach that, the flapping was slightly improved. If I purposely breathe in easier I can prevent it, but breathing like that is not comfortable.

Maybe I can set there ramp time to less, so the ramp is quicker?

Thanks!

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:47 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:43 pm
My advice:

Pick a set of settings and commit to using them for at least 3 or 4 days. Unless there is a clear disaster, resist the urge to change the settings based on what happens to one piece of data on one particular night. Keep better track of how you are feeling in a way that is independent of looking at the data and allowing the data to influence how you think you feel during the day.
robysue1 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:05 pm
chuck29 wrote:Tonight, I will be using S11 in S Mode WITH Trigger set to Very High, want to see if feel ANY better.
Again: You need to quit changing settings every single night in the hopes that something might miraculously work.

Others too have told you not go about making so many changes.
And yet this is what you write following this advice.
chuck29 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:39 pm
I am using a ResMed AirCurve 11 in VAuto Mode, no Ramp. Tonight I will be using in S Mode with Ramp turned on as my pressure is S Mode is 18/12
Your pressure in S mode on the 24th was EPAP 10, IPAP 18, no ramp.

Now you say its 18/12???? And you're planning to add ramp when you weren't using it????

Please stick to one thread, do careful editing of the numbers you're reporting, don't hop about between forums (stick to one, whichever one you prefer) and try to learn about your new machine.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:56 pm

The flaps won't open unless there is negative pressure in the mask and this can only happen when you are drawing more air than the machine can supply. And that happens when your ipap is too low. Increase your ipap.

chuck29

Post by chuck29 » Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:12 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:56 pm
The flaps won't open unless there is negative pressure in the mask and this can only happen when you are drawing more air than the machine can supply. And that happens when your ipap is too low. Increase your ipap.
I had IPAP at 12 last night (usually 10) and the first few minutes of flapping were much more tolerable.

Thank you!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:52 pm

So, your minimum pressure is barely over 4 cm?
I would start by raising that to at least 6.
---or having your machine tested for sufficient airflow.
Some of us need more air than 4 cm. can provide.