acid reflux and full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Susie

acid reflux and full face mask

Post by Susie » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:10 am

What happens if you have acid reflux with a full face mask? Without the mask, I would jump upright in bed and clear my throat as much as possible as it causes a burning sensation and it is hard at first to inhale or exhale.

Has anyone experienced acid reflux with a full face mask? Thanks, Susie [/list]

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:52 am

Well, I would suggest that you get your reflux under control. Barrett's esophogus is nothing to mess with (your esophogus gets damaged by all the acid)

A lot of folks say their reflux is better with Cpap. But, if you are "tasting" the acid, it is not good. See a GI doc.

Good luck!

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:14 am

Acid reflix can be a problem with a full as well as a nasal mask. Basically, you are forcing your airway open. In doing this, you can swallow air (aerophagia) and this can inflate your stomach causing reflux to be worse.

I too have GERD, but I have not found it to be any worse with my FF. However, I am also on Achiphex daily. I do however, know that I am swallowing air, as I am (laugh, laugh) farting a lot since I starteed cpap 6 nights ago.

Jen (NeurosurgeryNP)

photogal

On the topic of your acid reflux

Post by photogal » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:42 am

I have had ulcers in the past (no, I didn't have THE bacteria) and have suffered with acid reflux, especially if I snack late. It got worse during chemo and I was put on prescription medicine for it. I took it faithfully every day, and wow...it stopped all reflux, even if I DID snack late! (That is, if I wanted to snack considering chemo made everything taste nasty) Then my insurance company decided they would no longer pay for any prescription medications for this, and suggest OTC Prilosec. I buy Prilosec in the large pack and it works just as good as any of the others did.
Get it. Take it every a.m. regularly. You will be surprised how you do.
Just the humble opinion of someone who's been thar, done that. Kind of been everywhere, done everything.

kathleen

Re: acid reflux and full face mask

Post by kathleen » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:52 am

Susie wrote:What happens if you have acid reflux with a full face mask? Without the mask, I would jump upright in bed and clear my throat as much as possible as it causes a burning sensation and it is hard at first to inhale or exhale.

Has anyone experienced acid reflux with a full face mask? Thanks, Susie [/list]
I have acid reflux but I find the full face mask works better. I think the manufactures and the FDA are afraid we'll reflux in the mask and cause the contents to go into the lungs. Since I already do that, it isn't an additional problem <smile>