CPAP and Air Travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jason S.

CPAP and Air Travel

Post by Jason S. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 am

I'm taking my first trip in a few months. Should I carefully pack my CPAP in stowed baggage or should I try to carry it on the plane? What are regulations for carry-on? Do I need paperwork? My thinking was to try to pack it well in my stowed luggage to avoid potential hassles. It is a US domestic flight that will involve one plane change. Thanks.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

Needsleep75

Re: CPAP and Air Travel

Post by Needsleep75 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 am

I would definately carry it on since most airlines do not count medical devices as one of your caryons. Plus I wouldn't trust my machine to the normal baggage process.

Here is a link to the official TSA regulations for traveling with a cpap.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... /cpap.shtm

Hope this helps out

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 am

This topic has been discussed (and cussed!) to death.

Highlights:

Carry it on.
Download the ID tag.
Cooperate with TSA officials.
Don't pack non-CPAP items in your CPAP case.
Ask the gate agent for "pre-boarding" or you may end up sitting far away from the overhead where your CPAP is. (If you are OK with that, ignore this one.)

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

SteinyD

Post by SteinyD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:06 pm

I have been traveling with my CPAP for 6 months, both domestically and internationally. I have carried it on in its own case, I take it out of my carry on for security check just as I do with a laptop. It has been swabbed once but otherwise completely ignored. I usually pack my hose and mask in my check in luggage or also carry on depending on how I'm traveling. No problems. I do not carry a doctor's note or other identification.

Do note that a couple airlines do mention CPAP equipment in the allowable carry on products and that they need to be removed from check in luggage at security checks. I believe the first airlines site I saw this on was Continental.

PST

Post by PST » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:25 pm

I travel frequently and I haven't checked my machine yet. Even though the rules let you carry an extra case with medical equipment onto the plane, I hate trying to wrestle three bags through security, and I feel a bit inconsiderate on crowded flights as well. For short trips, I just pack the CPAP in my suitcase and leave the humidifier at home. I always have to take it out and put it though the x-ray machine by itself. I cannot recall any instance in the past six months when TSA did not examine it by hand and swab it. They all seem trained now to recognize CPAP machines, so I never have to answer any questions beyond, "Is this yours?"

slibhart

Post by slibhart » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:28 am

I was in the Atlanta airport last week and the TSA Agent was instructing folks on what to do, if they have a CPAP machine, during his speech of "take your shoes off, remove belts, etc...etc... I was impressed to hear that they actually knew what the CPAP machine is and that they used it in their speech while people are waiting in line. My knee replacement set off the sensor and, when I was being patted down, I thanked them for being sensitive to us CPAP folks.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 am

I just flew to San Diego.
As I was taking off my shoes I informed the TSA person I had a cpap.
I asked if they could use clean gloves, he said no problem.
I watched as he took the machine when it cleared the xray,
and he swabbed it.
Coming back, the person actually waited for me to clear the scanners
and had me go over to the table w/her as she did the swabbing.

They were all very professional and considerate.

I had my machine, HH, mask and hose in the case.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

Lisaintosa

Post by Lisaintosa » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi!

I am going to be going to Vegas in June (my one year anniversary-yeah me!) and will be traveling with my Cpap. I have been reading this link and been looking for the one with the link to the tags, but found the links not working. Can someone please post a more recent link.

Thanks!

Lisa

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:31 pm

I fly a lot and have had success with doing it this way.

When I approach the belt, I open the case so the machine is exposed and position it to go through x-ray. If there is a TSA person monitoring the belt close-by I tell them I have an apnea machine. (This gives them the opportunity to have a person whose job it is to inspect the machine to take the machine off the line right after the x-ray.) I go through the step-through x-ray, retrieve my laptop and purse, then walk over to the TSA area where they are inspecting the machine. I stand there until they are done then they give it to me and I'm off to the gate. I've flown on all major carriers in the US without a hitch.

Carry On
Machine, hose, mask (all fits in it's own Respironics case).
I keep a copy of my prescription in the outside flap so I can access it easily (although I've never had to).

In Luggage
- 24 oz Aquafina bottle with distilled water in it instead of Aquafina (to use at destination).
- Travel buddy hose hanger
- Extra nasal pillows and a full-face mask in case I have a stuffy nose from travel.
- Pur-sleep oil and pads in a small glass jar.

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 pm

I've flown with mine once every month or two for the last three years, domestically and internationally. Carry it on, don't put non-medical stuff in your CPAP case (you can put other medical things in, like medication, contact lens supplies, etc.), take it out of the bag like you would with a laptop, don't be surprised if the TSA says they need to swab it. I've never encountered someone who didn't know what it was, although they do always try to return it to the nearest older, heavy gentleman because little young blonde me can't possibly be the owner.

I've only ever had a problem three times: once at Newark someone tried to stop me from getting into the security line with two carry-ons but I showed him the tag and he let me through; twice (Orlando and Albuquerque) the agent made me take the whole machine out (including humidifier, hose, mask, etc. and swabbed everything (btw ABQ is my home airport so that was only 1 time out of at least 20). Oh and once I had a loaner machine and it tested positive for explosives! They just patted me down and checked my other bags again. I guess the industrial-strength cleaners they use to sterilize the machine between patients have something in common with explosives?

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:51 am

Lisaintosa wrote: looking for the one with the link to the tags, but found the links not working. Can someone please post a more recent link.
You're right...it doesn't work!

I just uploaded my copies to Rapidshare. They'll be there for 60 days (or 10 downloads, whichever comes first). Meantime, I'll look for a permanent "home" for them...and hopefully FREE! lol

http://rapidshare.com/files/378825073/P ... e.pdf.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/378825076/P ... d.pdf.html

Link

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...