FINALLY!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gregkIN

FINALLY!!!

Post by gregkIN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:25 pm

After 9 months of frustration, anger and just not using the machine, I have finally been able to fall asleep with my mask and machine on. It's only been for 3-4 hours as I usually have to get up at least once to use the bathroom. The thing I've noticed is that I shut everything down, go use the bathroom, and then get back in bed and go back to sleep without restarting the machine. I have a little bit of awareness that I've done this, but for some reason it's not been enough for me to realize I need to put the mask back on and restart the machine. I did catch myself this morning and did put the mask back on.

Another thing I've noticed, especially prior to falling asleep, is that I've had trouble getting a deep breath and also trouble swallowing. I manage to work through it, and plan to discuss it with my doctor at my appointment in a couple weeks, but it still gets annoying!

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the falling asleep trend continues and the not turning the machine back on after a bathroom break is only a temporary thing!

kempo

Re: FINALLY!!!

Post by kempo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:04 pm

When I get up in the middle of the night, I just turn the machine off, remove the hose from the mask, do my business, return to bed, connect hose, turn on machine, and back to sleep within a few minutes. If I remove the mask it takes to long to readjust and it takes much longer to go back to sleep.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:57 pm

They make a quick release connector so you can remove the hose from the mask when you need to get up...that way, the mask stays on your face and you just need to reconnect and push On again. Cpap.com has them..... I found that once I started to use my machine, I stopped needing to get up during the night. I now sleep 7 hours straight and sometimes more!

Glad you are making progress.... keep up the good work!
Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

lindalrc

Post by lindalrc » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:21 pm

Three comments.
1. My machine (S8) has an auto-on feature, so you put on the mask (when attached to the hose, of course) and on it goes. I initially didn't like this feature because it felt like the machine was bossing me around, but I quickly discovered that if I kept my mouth open and closed it when ready then I was in control. Eliminates that extra step of feeling around in the dark for the switch. My machine illuminates several switches and getting the right one can be a pain in the neck. The auto-on feature is great. Also has an auto-off that I like.

2. The suggestion of leaving the mask on and just reconnecting the hose could be very useful. Just keep on working to get yourself to do this. Eventually it will become a habit that even your half-asleep body will know you forgot and wake you up enough to complete the ritual.

3. Soon you may find yourself getting up after four hours or so much less frequently. For myself, I think my body was interpreting waking as a need for the bathroom. As I began to sleep better and better I was not waking from the apnea so the body did not have to "explain" a waking pattern to the brain as a bathroom need.

Keep on working on your xpap issues. It is well worth it. Happy holidays.

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:36 pm

If I need to get up in the middle of the night, I disconnect the hose from the machine, leaving the mask on my face. I just wrap the hose around my neck and take care of my business. It is too much work to put the mask on and I don't need the extra exertion to wake me up more than I already am, which would make it harder for me to go back to sleep. Interestingly, I am finding (1.5 years into BiPap) that there are often many nights that I have no need to get up and go to the rest room.

Tony

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:38 am

I find those quick connects just great! If I have to get up in the night, I just turn off the machine (so as not to wake my husband), disconnect the hose (with it's quick connect on the end) from the mask not taking the mask off, take care of business and go back to bed. All I have to do it connect the hose again, having the machine always set for "auto on", I am right back to sleep.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 am

i have a number of things about cpap use that frusrate me (have had cpap for 5 weeks) but i do notcie that i get up less frequently during the night. There have been a few nights when I have stayed in bed all night. My doctor explained it to me in terms of stress response. What happens when you are stressed? you might get sweaty, have your heart beat fast, and possibly urinate. The apnea incidents are periodic stresses to your body, and have reduced O2, and increased adrenaline etc. So one good effect of cpap is to reduce the number of bathroom trips.