OT: Cinnamon

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GrantT

OT: Cinnamon

Post by GrantT » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:33 am

Anyone out there a firm believer/user of cinnamon for blood sugar/cholesterol/joint pain or any other potential benefit?

If so, I am trying to get the bottom of how to use it, optimal sources, etc. Want to hear from you...

I just absolutely LOVE cinnamon (for taste), but am confused over how to take it for medicinal purposes. i.e. myths etc. i.e. Supermarket cinnamon is too old to have benefit etc.

Grant

chunkyfrog

Re: OT: Cinnamon

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Saigon cinnamon--higher levels of the good stuff--spicier, too.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 pm

I think there is a lot of evidence that says cinnamon is very beneficial but I've never made a concerted effort other than to use it as a seasoning. I love to put butter on a sweet tater and then I make a mixture of an artificial sweetener and cinnamon and put that on the sweet tater. Yum-yum!!! I think it would be good on butternut squash too. I also make cinnamon toast. I don't think you have to have much for it to be beneficial but I definitely wouldn't quote me on that
GrantT wrote:Anyone out there a firm believer/user of cinnamon for blood sugar/cholesterol/joint pain or any other potential benefit?

If so, I am trying to get the bottom of how to use it, optimal sources, etc. Want to hear from you...

I just absolutely LOVE cinnamon (for taste), but am confused over how to take it for medicinal purposes. i.e. myths etc. i.e. Supermarket cinnamon is too old to have benefit etc.

Grant

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:12 pm

I'm not diabetic, but am interested in what might happen some day. My Medicine Man told me about cinnamon being a blood sugar regulator several years ago, so I got online and started searching PubMed and other sources for reviewed articles in the usual journals and drew a blank. Nothing definitive. Same thing with saw palmetto and BPH. Studies were inconclusive. Every time one article comes out saying it does something, another one comes out saying it doesn't.

I say monitor your blood sugar before and after and see if it works for you. I don't think it can hurt. Cinnamon capsules are available in health food stores.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:10 pm

I did just what slartybartfast suggested and tried cinnamon for a month, (not long after my T2 Dx in November, 2008) then no cinnamon for a month, and logged everything (including everything I ate, and the nutritional breakdown as far as carbs, fat, protein and fiber goes).

I tend to eat the same tried and true meals, particularly for breakfast and dinner on weekdays and other meals and days are also pretty predictable, so from my data the nutrition breakdown over those 2 months of testing were almost identical.

Yes, I'm a little obsessive with stats - it's helped me

My BG did actually drop a little on average - nothing earth-shattering, just a few points (on average over the month), but it was enough that I still take cinnamon capsules and try to add it to foods when possible. I usually eat 30-70g carbs per day, which is definitely on the low end, but it's what works for me in keeping my T2 in non-diabetic range. I say usually, because I choose on occasions to 'eat off the plan'.

I think cinnamon and other supplements are personal, and what works for some, doesn't work for others - just like medications. As long as you make sure the supplements don't react with any other meds or supplements you take, experimenting should be safe enough.

I haven't assessed cinnamon for joint pain or cholesterol, but my cholesterol excellent since changing to a low-carb, moderate fat & protein diet.

Cheers,
xena

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:52 pm

I tried caps of it, to increase energy and lower blood sugar, it did neither for me. Jim

I did find out however, using patched for low "T", that they helped my body burn sugars. (less insulin needed)
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

moondoggy

Post by moondoggy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I too heard that cinnamon was good for lowering blood sugar and I was taking a cinnamon capsule every day. From physical to physical I kept looking for a sign that my blood sugar levels were lowering but nothing. Then I got it in my mind that perhaps the cinnamon was keeping my blood sugar from going up. On my last physical my new doctor reviewed my suppliments and told me that if I enjoyed taking the cinnamon it was fine to take it but if I was taking it to reduce my blood sugar then I was wasting my money. According to my doctor there have been some recent studies that have concluded that cinnamon has no effect on blood sugar.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:13 pm

FWIW, my dear departed grandfather used to wear a cologne that was nothing more than a little cinnamon oil in alcohol. I'm told it was common many years ago in Oklahoma, where he was from. I remember when I was little, getting a hug from him and smelling cinnamon. Brings a smile to my face just thinking of it.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:33 am

Shoot. Cinnamon just plain tastes good. Of course, finding something EVERY day to have with cinnamon, might be difficult. I don't think they've figured out how much is/might be beneficial. What really interested me in my research was a study where people were given, I think a 1/2 tsp worth of cinnamon and a tablespoon of honey (maybe teaspoon, my memory doesn't work well, so I guess I need more garlic too) drastically reduced arthritis symptoms. That I could use but how do you get that every day? Oatmeal maybe. Cinnamon straight is pretty spicey.
Slartybartfast wrote:I'm not diabetic, but am interested in what might happen some day. My Medicine Man told me about cinnamon being a blood sugar regulator several years ago, so I got online and started searching PubMed and other sources for reviewed articles in the usual journals and drew a blank. Nothing definitive. Same thing with saw palmetto and BPH. Studies were inconclusive. Every time one article comes out saying it does something, another one comes out saying it doesn't.

I say monitor your blood sugar before and after and see if it works for you. I don't think it can hurt. Cinnamon capsules are available in health food stores.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm

As with any supplement or drug the correct dosage is critical.

For dosing instructions see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyk7utV_D2I
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent