F & P Pilairo nasal pillows - does the sore nose diminish ov

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DougalMcDougal

F & P Pilairo nasal pillows - does the sore nose diminish ov

Post by DougalMcDougal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:04 pm

I have been using the and the f&p Pilairo nasal pillows on a 1 week trial and love the feeling when they are on and sleep really well with them. i have used them on 3 different non-consecutive nights.

the problem is that the next morning, the inner part of the front of my right nostril is very sore, raw and bloody so I have to stop using the nasal pillows until the nose heals after a day or 2

I have returned the mask as the trial has ended but am thinking about buying one.

if i buy one, will the nasal soreness/bleeding diminsih as my nose gets used to it or will this be an ongoing problem (in which case i'm less inclined to buy it)?

BudSky

Re: F & P Pilairo nasal pillows - does the sore nose diminish ov

Post by BudSky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:05 am

Bloody? That is some irritation! I use the F&P Pilairo and prefer it. I did get some irritation consisting of a zit like thing inside the edge of one nostril. But I also have gotten those on my nose bridge using nasal or full face masks. Fortunately the zit like thing resolved quickly with the application of neosporin after puncture and gentle squeezing*, and I've been good ever since, several weeks now.
My only issue has been if I'm congested it is very hard to breathe through the Pilairo forcing me to use a mask when that happens. Not the devices fault though.

* Sorry for the "gross out" factor and yes I know one is not supposed to do that but it always works for me.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:02 am

I love the Pilairo and have never had a problem with nasal soreness--are you sure you aren't wearing it too tight and have the pillows jammed up your nose? I had to stretch my strap out by wrapping it around something for a day and now it's perfect. Really sounds to me like you have those pillows jammed in. You'll not find softer pillows anywhere else.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:00 am

After using the pilairo for 4 or 5 days my nostrils get sore. I like the pilaro and would use it every night if it didn't have this problem. I switch off to the sleep weaver advance for a couple days. The advance has a leak problem and after a couple nights I'm back to the pilairo.

sylvie

Post by sylvie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:37 am

The thing is, when people try the Pilairo thru their DME--they can't stretch out the strap so that they can see how the mask will work comfortably . My best advice would be to lower the strap to the top of the neck and hopefully it will stay put for at least one night so that you can see how the mask can work comfortably.
Avoid tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) & train-track braces; find a functional orthodontist at http://iaortho.org/.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 pm

I love the Piliaro, but was mouth breathing, so I am trying other masks to hopefully solve the problem. The thing is, I never experienced a tight strap with Piliaro, in fact it is the loosest strap I have worn since starting CPAP therapy in 2000. If some of my other straps were that loose they would fall off. However tight or loose the strap, I did have some problems getting my nose used to the nasal part of the mask. But I was coming from the IQ nasal mask at the time I first tried the Piliaro. I have never had much luck with nasal pillows, but am currently working on that. Was willing to give nasal pillows a second chance after Piliaro.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

catlady

Post by catlady » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 pm

I have had a lot of irritation around the edge of my nostril with the Pilairo - had to stop using it altogether to try and get the sore cleared up which took a month or so (going without any mask for a couple nights, using many different products, etc.) and going to the sleep dr. for advice (gave me a non-pillow mast to use temporarily). Got it cleared up and went back to Pilairo - same problem again. Tried many things to clear up and/or prevent it from getting to the point it had the first time but the ONLY thing that healed it was New Skin liquid bandage - did the job in about two days. I worried that the liquid bandage would not come off easily but it pealed right off the next morning. Now I use it if I see anything happening again. Also I switch back and forth between the Pilairo and my original Swift pillows. I switched from the Swift after complaining to the sleep dr. at annual check up that I didn't like the marks it left on my face the next morning which took hours to go away. He suggested the Pilairo which at first I loved - but then the sores started (raw and bleeding!). Another product I found (on my own) is Lanacane anti-chafing gel which I use when the "chapping" starts as a way to prevent it from getting worse. Seems to help.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:09 pm

I have one mask (F/P ComfortGel Full face) that requires a couple days "break-in" time for any new cushion/shield.
At that time, I wear a junior band-aid over my nose.
Any longer than that, and I would seriously consider a different mask.

DougalMcDougal

Post by DougalMcDougal » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:29 pm

as per my original post the pilairo was making my nose sore and bloody - i stopped and used a full face mask for a few days then returned to the pilairo but the bleeding/soreness recurred. Despite this i loved the pilairos so i returned the loaner and bought one of the internet (from China at a third of the Australian price)

with my new pilairo i've had only minor soreness initially but started sing nipple cream on my nose every night and now have zero nasal soreness/bleeding - so now a very very happy pilairo user

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Well believe it or not, but the Piliaro has made me a pillows user. I have been switching back & forth between Piliaro & Swift FX. After using the Piliaro but having mouth breathing, I started trying the Swift FX, bought the mask insert from Pad-A-Cheek & now love the Swift FX. Also still rotating using the Piliaro & sometimes the Elan. Still working with various chinstraps, but I think I may have gotten my mouthbreathing under control, thanks to both these great nasal pillow masks.

In short, I still love the Piliaro, but it has 'opened the door' for me with some other great masks too. Go figure...
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

DebboL

Post by DebboL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi I use the Pilairo as well and did have some minor irritation on my right nostril. It took about a week to clear up. The only thing I did was keep it clean and still used my mask. It eventually went away. I hope you get a chance to use it again.

Deb

Simon OZ

Post by Simon OZ » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:32 am

I had issues with my first Pilairo at the start and I actually found adding a little personal lubricant that's silicon safe like Pjur to the mask actually helped a lot. After a while the silicone seems to get smoother or something and I had no issues.

I just bought a new Pilairo Q mask and I'm back to the original issues of having to lubricate again. Which indicates it's more about the silicone that it is about my skin. Currently applying Bepanthin ointment to the nose as well as it creates a nice protective barrier for the night because I have a small sore spot now.