saying off, yet working

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

saying off, yet working

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:39 am

My mother in law has an S9 resmed machine that is saying "off" while functioning normally. We are just not sure if this is a terribly dangerous issue. If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them.

Julie

Re: saying off, yet working

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:41 am

I can't imagine that it's 'dangerous', but why not call the dealer and ask them about it?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:21 am

apparently she took it in to the dealer today and they wanted her to pay to have them look at it, being a pensioner she doesn't really have that much money to spare. i have offered her the money, just thought i would ask around first.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:31 am

What's the machine - fullest name & model # you can find...

It could be difficult to figure this out 3rd hand - not knowing how knowledgable or capable she is with it, if she has a manual, etc... if she inadvertently pushed or turned the wrong button. And the 'off' could possibly not be wrong but validly apply to e.g. the humidifier, or the EPR or ramp feature, etc... see if you can get more specific info.

TexasTom

Post by TexasTom » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:20 am

Guest -- post up a city/state and what DME (supplier/dealer/who ever) you are dealing with. Lots of great folks, so often then can help.

I have Apria... when I went to pick up the machine, I was told I had to wait three days for an appointment. Came back for my appointment and was told "Therapist isn't available could you come back in two weeks?" #$*&*! So they just handed me the machine with "here you go". Thankfully I found some great folks on this forum who helped me out in what to do. Apria's is nicknamed crapia for a good reason.

Oh... on my supplies, I've ordered what I need from cpap.com -- good folks, and probably can answer your simple (non therapy) questions.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:45 am

OP uses the word "pensioner"; are you in the UK?
If machine is over 5 years old, maybe replacement is the best plan.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:53 am

Actually, I don't think they would have used the word 'dealer', and pensioner is fairly common to anywhere seniors receive pensions.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:53 pm

As we know, Medicare can make cpap much more affordable for seniors of a certain age.
If she is dealing with Cobra or some other insurance, (or none at all) then the prices are going to be much worse.
I would suggest secondwind for a backup or new regular machine, and chuck the old one if it is an Escape.
Repair by acbio might be a possibility.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:44 pm

I may be way out in left field, but my machine "runs" for awhile after shutting off at a very low pressure as a normal part of its functioning ( something about condensation or something or other). Are you this isn't what is happening?

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 pm

thank you all for the responses, the machine is a ResMed s9 autoset machine, it's about three years old. We are in Tamworth Australia. Her health insurance does not help with the machine at all, and neither does medicare (apparently).

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Guest wrote:My mother in law has an S9 resmed machine that is saying "off" while functioning normally. We are just not sure if this is a terribly dangerous issue. If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them.
That's probably telling you the humidifier is off. Turn the round knob and it will probably say 0.5, 1, etc. as you change it.

The higher the number, the more humidity it provides. If she doesn't feel the air is too dry, it's fine to let it stay off, but more humidity may be more comfortable.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 pm

thank you so much, this has fixed the issue =D.