It's raining again

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NyNurse33

It's raining again

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:13 am

Ok, I covered the heck out of my tube yesterday. 2-ply fleece wrapped around from end to end. Oh, but wait, what's this? Oh its 2 am and I've got water all over my face again. With the humidifier set to "1" What the heck am I doing wrong? Do I have to not use the humidifier, I really don't want to and I was able to on the escape with no problems. I know the answer may be the aussie and when I can I will, but I can't right now. I could buy a cover from offerocker, but I tried this first and if this isn't working, then I don't think any cover will. There are no open areas on the actual tube itself. The only other thing, I'm thinking is that I need to somehow cover the tube on the mask. That is the only thing that is left unexposed.

What do you think?

~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:19 am

BTW, this is a far stretch, but: Could it have anything to do with the fact that my range is 4-20 and I'm starting out so low? The past 3 day averages have been btwn 5-7 as far as 90% pressure. I'm just grasping at straws, b/c this all started happening with this new machine, didn't have this problem before.
~Melissa~

The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night's sleep. ~E. Joseph Cossman

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:23 am

Melissa how cold is your house?

Last night I had the humidity set to 3 for just over 10 hours. The hose is covered with a snuggle. (I am using the ComfortCurve). There may be about 1-2 oz of water left in the chamber. I shook the hose nothing is in there.

Mind you there was a lot of leaking, so I do not know if the moisture escaped or what.

At least at 3 my nostrials feel more moist then at 2 this morning. A bit more moist would be better. But that would be a problem since I would run out of water. Or maybe join the rain out group. (there was moisture in the mouth piece yesterday after a nap. But I wonder if that was in the hose and when I moved the mask/hose it moved up.

Cover the long tubing with fleece. Is the tube by an outside wall. Is the wall cold?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, tubing

Last edited by SelfSeeker on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can do this, I will do this.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:25 am

I just found this post, doesn't look good for me:

viewtopic.php?t=13951&highlight=condens ... mfort+lite
~Melissa~

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:25 am

Was it a bit warmer at night before you got the new machine. The past few nights have been cold. Enough to need to scrape the windsheild on Friday morning. (I did not say that word.)

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:28 am

I think at 2 am, it was like 64-65. Its not near an outside wall and trust me when I say this sucker is wrapped!!! LOL. I think it may be my beloved mask. The other night it was leaking all around the top part near the velcro before the swivel elbow. Last night, I couldn't take it anymore and took it off...stupid me....
~Melissa~

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:29 am

Yes I guess in all fairness, it was warmer with the new machine.
~Melissa~

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 am

I would try wrapping anything I could in fleece. Just make sure not to block any vents. You may have to go for the aussie hose sooner than you'd like, but it does work!

Brenda

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:35 am

Melissa even if rain out is interface dependant, I would go for the interface that suits me the best, then if need be get the aussie hose.

Finding an interface that you can sleep well with, does not leak, is comfortable etc is so much more important. (Of course I am bias, since I still need an interface that does not leak all night, really loud, and does not leave my face/ears/nose sore.)

Do not wrap to tight. You want some air between the fleece and the hose. The air would act as an insulator as well.

Last edited by SelfSeeker on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:35 am

I just went to their site. They now make one with a sensor, I guess that would just make it turn on and off as needed? Are these things safe, was anyone ever nervous? Maybe if I can sell my swift, I'll use the money toward the aussie. B/c all this fleece made my tubing very heavy last night too.

~Melissa~

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:39 am

What temp is your room at night. Is it cold now because you have yet to turn on the heating yet?

What is the sensor for?

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:50 am

Last night it got down to 64-65 room air, I didn't turn the heat on last night, the night before that it got down to 60...lol. Last winter was the first winter, that I was stingy on the putting the heat up. I told my family, I am not setting the heat to 72, so you can walk around here and wear t-shirts and shorts. Too expensive with the gas increases last year. So we have a cut back thermometer and I would keep it real low when we weren't home during the day, up to like 66-68 during the afternoon and evening when we were and then drop it back down to like 64 when we were sleeping, b/c I don't like it warm when we are sleeping, got lots of covers. Plus I notice a huge decrease in colds and illness overall last year, b/c I didn't keep it so warm. I haven't officially set the thermostat yet this year, the cold air just got here this week. But I do plan on following the same routine as last year. The aussie has this sensor thing now, they are saying, check their site out.
~Melissa~

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:58 am

The "sensor" you're talking about (at sleepzone.com.au ) has nothing to do with temperature of the heated hose or turning it on/off. That "sensor" is an airflow sensor narrow diameter tube for Puritan Bennett machines. A sensor tube has to be inside any air hose (not just the Aussie heated hose) when a person is using certain Puritan Bennett machines, like the 420E autopap.

People who are using Respironics or resmed machines should order the heated hose model that does NOT have a sensor tube inside. Unless there's also a PB machine in your life...heheh. I use the heated hose that's made for PB machines (with sensor tube) with my Respironics machine too. I just plug one end of the sensor when using my BiPAP Auto.

LINKS to discussions about the Aussie heated hose - to prevent rainout
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:05 am

I'm sure you've tried these things but I just thought I'd rattle off all the things I've heard anyways:
Lower the cpap unit below the level of the bed
Lower the level of water in the humidifier
Make sure there is plenty of airflow all around the unit
Make sure the filters are clean
Drop an icecube in the humidifier
Use a dehumidifier in the room

Some of them seem far fetched but for each one I've heard someone swear by it. Can't hurt I suppose.

NyNurse33

Post by NyNurse33 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:15 am

Anonymous wrote:I'm sure you've tried these things but I just thought I'd rattle off all the things I've heard anyways:
Lower the cpap unit below the level of the bed
already is
Lower the level of water in the humidifier
I've been filling it up to max--I'll keep it low and try
Make sure there is plenty of airflow all around the unit
yes there is
Make sure the filters are clean
brand new and clean
Drop an icecube in the humidifier
never heard of it, not sure what the theory is, but I'll try
Use a dehumidifier in the room
Not humid in my room,dry already
Some of them seem far fetched but for each one I've heard someone swear by it. Can't hurt I suppose.
Some good ideas...thanks

BTW, I peeled back my fleece cover and there was even some condendsation underneath it. How could that be?

~Melissa~