Advice for helping my son-in-law

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MurrayNevada

Advice for helping my son-in-law

Post by MurrayNevada » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 pm

My son-in-law (the father of my grandson and granddaughter) has all the symptoms I experienced with OSA before APAP. My daughter describes these symptoms as exactly the same as mine (very loud snoring and sudden awakenings gasping for breath). He will not go for a sleep test and cannot be convinced.

He is willing and appreciative of my offer to try out an APAP machine of mine. I have read here that APAP machines are capable of determining OSA and needed settings. I have an unused PR DreamStation APAP and just about every mask (slight exaggeration) sold by our sponsor. My problem is that I don't know how to set things up for him. I'm sure I can do a reasonable job of fitting him with a mask but I don't know how to initially set the machine to determine pressure (low/high) that he may need. How do I do this? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

Pugsy

Re: Advice for helping my son-in-law

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Minimum 6
Maximum 20
AFlex set to 2 or 3 whichever feels the best to him.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 pm

And let us see a screenshot after the first night.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:59 pm

If you are willing to invest a little, a recording oximeter will show him how low his oxygen goes while he sleeps and for how long. That may be convincing if he understands how little oxygen his vulnerable brain and heart are getting for periods of time during the night.

What I always worry about with someone willing to "try" CPAP is that they will be miserable in it because it IS hard to get used to--especially that first night, and then he might be even more reluctant to seek treatment.

I resisted getting testing and treatment for years even though I well knew I had a problem with OSA. What finally convinced me was the thought of being unable to care for myself and burdening my family with my care.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks folks. I'm going to try to set things up this weekend. I'll post some screen shots for further assistance.
Pugsy, New Pug? My daughter has been a Pug rescuer. They sure grow on you.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:56 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm
No...not a new Pug but a picture of Sarge when he was young.
Sarge crossed the Rainbow Bridge in Feb after a short illness. A genetic heart condition we think that came on rather suddenly.
He needed a heart transplant. They don't do them on pets.
So I changed avatars to help me with my grief.

So your daughter is in on the Pug rescue thing??? Is she current? I am on the lookout for another Pug. This is the first time in 30 years that I am pugless. Sarge was a rescue....and I want another rescue but having trouble finding either the right pug for me.
So if she is still active...tell her you know a fine lady who wants to open her heart up to another pug.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rexlan

Post by Rexlan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 am

MurrayNevada wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 pm
My son-in-law (the father of my grandson and granddaughter) has all the symptoms I experienced with OSA before APAP. My daughter describes these symptoms as exactly the same as mine (very loud snoring and sudden awakenings gasping for breath). He will not go for a sleep test and cannot be convinced.

He is willing and appreciative of my offer to try out an APAP machine of mine. I have read here that APAP machines are capable of determining OSA and needed settings. I have an unused PR DreamStation APAP and just about every mask (slight exaggeration) sold by our sponsor. My problem is that I don't know how to set things up for him. I'm sure I can do a reasonable job of fitting him with a mask but I don't know how to initially set the machine to determine pressure (low/high) that he may need. How do I do this? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

Here is a video showing you how to set up the DreamStation.

Most of the sleep labs around here set them up with a min of 4 and max of 14. Flex=2.

I have the humidifier of 3 and no preheat ... works well.

Here is a link to show you exactly how to set it up and what it means.
Semper Fi (1964-70)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BhrJPDq_5s

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:56 pm
MurrayNevada wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm
"So your daughter is in on the Pug rescue thing??? Is she current? I am on the lookout for another Pug.

She is no longer active. She's now a full time teacher with 2 kids under seven. That and her current Pug keep her pretty busy,

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:55 am

Rexlan wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 am
MurrayNevada wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:24 pm

Thank you,
Mike
Here is a video showing you how to set up the DreamStation.
Here is a link to show you exactly how to set it up and what it means.
Semper Fi (1964-70)

Thanks Rexian.
Semper Fi
(1968-1972)

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:57 am

Rexlan said: Here is a link to show you exactly how to set it up and what it means.
Semper Fi (1964-70)

Excellent video. Thank you