Does Covid worsen sleep apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Unkikonki

Does Covid worsen sleep apnea?

Post by Unkikonki » Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:13 pm

Hello everyone. 3 weeks ago I caught Covid for the first time. Suddenly, I couldn't sleep at all as I'd choke before even being able to fall asleep despite using the exact same CPAP setup that was doing wonders for me before Covid (CPAP + chinstrap + soft cervical collar)

I decided to switch my nasal mask for a nasal pillow that I had never been able to use successfully. The nasal pillow helped fortunately, I could finally get some sleep.

It's been 3 weeks since the symptoms started and my apnea is still significantly affected. Even my sense of smell is still diminished. I still also feel tired, not sure if because of the lingering effects of Covid, or because the quality of my sleep has dropped, or both.I still cannot sleep with my nasal mask, the same mask that I'd used for an entire year prior.

At first I thought it could be some sticky mucus at the back of my throat creating an obstruction but then I realized it was something else. Could Covid cause inflammation of some tissue in the nasopharynx such as the Adenoids? If so, how long does it normally take to go back to normal? I feel there is something there that wasn't before.

robysue1

Re: Does Covid worsen sleep apnea?

Post by robysue1 » Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:22 pm

Covid can cause all kinds of problems. And it can take weeks to fully get over even a reasonably mild case of covid. And then there's the issue of long covid where people can continue to have covid related problems for months.

So yes, what you are experiencing could be caused by the covid. If you are concerned, you might want to talk to your PCP about covid and whether the fact that you are still feeling what may be covid symptoms three weeks after you caught it. And be sure to mention the fact that you feel like your sleep is still affected.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:46 am

So glad my adenoids were removed when I was 8! I seemed to have colds etc. all the time until then (70+ yrs ago), home from school etc, but just nothing since except for a couple of colds altogether.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:19 am

I like how proper diagnosis has finally become a medical objective.
My tonsils and adenoids were removed at age 6, due to frequent infections.
My illnesses continued for decades, until I was finally prescribed an antihistamine.
"DAMN!, Is this how other people feel all the time?"
Obviously, medicine is an art, and appreciation is a matter of perspective.