What is my problem? Noobie needs settings advices

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Xantat

Re: What is my problem? Noobie needs settings advices

Post by Xantat » Tue May 31, 2022 1:47 pm

Thanks alot for all the informations!

I'm trying to use the CPAP as much as I can handle it until my apt. I'll keep you updated of the next steps in July!

See you then! :D

Xantat

Post by Xantat » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:51 am

Hello,

I've seen my sleep doctor this morning.

We have decided to stop CPAP for now, wait 5 month and do a polysomnography to "start from scratch" again. I think it's the best option for me right now, as I feel like we have missed alot of informations with the polygraphy.

Thanks for all the tips.

I'll come back to keep updated of the next steps!

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:28 am

Thanks for the update.
Good luck!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Xantat

Post by Xantat » Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:33 am

Hello,

Update: more than 2 years have passed, and I have done 3 new sleep studies in the mean time. The first one was polysonography, and showed no sleep apnea, which drove me crazy. After a year I decided to do another one, which came back positive, and 1 month ago I did a polygraphy with a physician (came back positive too) so he could prescribe me a new machine.

I'm now on an Airsense 11 with p30i, trying the APAP therapy again!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:23 am

Good luck!

Xantat

Post by Xantat » Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:30 am

Thank you!

It's been 7 days and it feels like a nightmare again. I feel 10x worse on APAP than without. And I know I will have to go through the same bullshit again with technicians and doctors: "you need time to get used to it", "it's maybe your body relaxing after years of bad sleep". But I just can't accept that it's normal to feel like a zombie. I feel desperate, and I hope I can find a solution this time or I'll just give up for good on treating my apneas and accept that I'll die earlier.

Here is the latest full night I've had if you are interested. I have changed my upper pressure to 12 as it seemed to be blocked at 10. I normally have around 20 ahi, with maily obstructive hypopneas, and none to low (max 3.9/h on a polygraphy) centra apneas.

Sorry for the bad mood.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (220.85 KiB) Viewed 3375 times

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Oct 07, 2024 9:46 pm

Xantat wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:33 am
Hello,
The first one was polysonography, and showed no sleep apnea [...]
After a year I decided to do another one, which came back positive[...]
and 1 month ago I did a polygraphy with a physician (came back positive too) so he could prescribe me a new machine.

I'm now on an Airsense 11 with p30i, trying the APAP therapy again!
My edit and emphasis
Welcome back.

I don't understand the difference between polysomnography and "polygraphy with a physician". Why did nothing happen after the second test?
Did you have a test in which your response to different pressures was recorded? If you didn't, why not?

I also don't understand
Xantat wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:30 am
I have changed my upper pressure to 12 as it seemed to be blocked at 10
What seemed blocked?
You upper pressure on the image you attached is 10.
What were the reasons for choosing the pressures and the APAP mode?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Xantat

Post by Xantat » Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:25 am

Thank you! :D

Polysomnography = done at a clinic with more sensors like EEG.
Polygraphy = done at home, with less sensors.

The reason I did the last polygraphy was to (1) have a definitive diagnostic (4 positive tests and 1 negative) and (2) so my physician could prescribe me a machine or MAD. He needed a recent exam I think.

OSCAR shows that sometimes the pressure roofs at 10, so I though it meant that it wanted to go higher than that.
I guess the pressures are just a large guess to get a first trial during 2 weeks, and then decide what to keep and change with the technician. I feel like I really don't like APAP as (1) the pressure changes bother me and (2) the pressure goes to maximum right away as I'm still awake which seems counter-productive.

Xantat

Post by Xantat » Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:21 am

Update: technician put me on CPAP mode pressure 8, EPR 2.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:42 am

Xantat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:21 am
Update: technician put me on CPAP mode pressure 8, EPR 2.
and what are the results?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Xantat

Post by Xantat » Wed Oct 16, 2024 3:05 pm

Here it is, but it's only one night with 2h30 of recording. I'm having troubles keeping the mask all night long for now.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (119.16 KiB) Viewed 1541 times

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:17 pm

I have some questions.

During your long break from CPAP, did you feel better?

What were your AHI and the break-down of events in your two most recent "positive" sleep tests? And did they note the amount of time, if any, that your O2 levels were 90 (0r 89) and lower? Finally, did they note periodic leg movements?

What is it about the mask (or the machine?) that makes you stop part-way through the night?

Finally, could you zoom in on your CAs to see whether they follow arousal breathing? Arousal breathing looks deeper and messier than nice, regular asleep breathing. See the example below; that's a short arousal with no CA.
Arousal 3.png
Arousal 3.png (37.59 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
When you have a lot of CAs in a row, you may see arousal breathing kicking the sequence off, followed by waning and waxing, with CAs after some of the waxing.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Xantat

Post by Xantat » Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:15 am

Thanks for your time!

During my long CPAP break I felt like before using it, that is better but not best. Without CPAP I feel at max 70% rested, with it 20-50%.

Here is the result from one of the last tests (PSG):

"- We performed a neurophysiological exploration of the sleep-wake cycle including:

- Polysomnography: Neurophysiological recording was performed on a CIDELEC Lxe according to AASM recommendations. It included analysis of the electroencephalogram (8 to 24 leads), electro-oculogram, surface relectromyography of the chin and anterior leg muscles, position sensor, electro-cardiogram, airflow analysis using a nasal pressure cannula and its tracheal, nocturnal oxyinetry, and measurement of thoracic and abdominal effort using a strap with a piezoelectric sensor. The tracing was analyzed by visual scoring by a sleep neurologist.

- Neurophysiological analysis: The night's sleep was characterized by a total sleep time of 7h40 min. Manual visual analysis documented a distribution of 57.4% in light slow-wave sleep, 31.3% in deep slow-wave sleep and 11.3% in REM sleep. The onset latency of REM sleep was 100 min. Analysis of sleep microstructure revealed 166 microarousals, an index of 22 per hour. This microfragmentation was secondary to the neurophysiological/respiratory disorder. Muscular analysis with a collection of the anterior hamstrings did not objectify periodic movements.

- Respiratory analysis: Analysis of respiratory parameters revealed 199 events corresponding to 50 apneas (12 obstructive, 30 central and 8 mixed) and 149 hypopneas. This gives an index of 26 per hour.Oximetry analysis revealed a mean oxygen saturation of 95% and a time spent below 90% of 0 minutes. The desaturation index was 20 per hour.

- Overall, we conclude from this global assessment to a sleep of 7h40 with sleep efficiency 98% fragmented 22/h on moderate OSA 26/h (30/h dorsal) by predominantly obstructive hypopnea, desaturation 20/h without periodic movement.

- This neurologist didn't write it but told me I had UARS
"

Here is the result from the last test (polygraphy):

"Good-quality examination (analysis performed on nasal cannula pressure signal) in favor of moderate-stage obstructive sleep apnea hypopnea syndrome, with AHI of 18.1/H (11.3% obstructive apnea; mean duration = 16.8 sec, maximum = 34.4 sec, 70.6% hypopnea). Oxygen desaturation index 14.7/H with mean SpO2 94.7% (basal 97.0%, minimum 88.0%). Episodes of desaturation with 0.7 min of the recording (i.e. 0.1%) below 90%. Ronchopathy with a Snoring Index of 8.9/H. Confirmation of moderate OSAS."

I stop using the machine during the night because I wake up and have troubles falling back asleep. I would say it's mainly because I'm not used to the mask yet, it hurts a bit on the bridge between my 2 nostrils (p30i). Other than that, I know that if I push to keep the mask all night long I will feel like a zombie in the morning.

I have uploaded 3 zoom-ins so you can see:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (56.75 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
3.PNG
3.PNG (53.44 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
5.PNG
5.PNG (43.55 KiB) Viewed 1328 times