list for traveling with CPAP....what have I forgotten?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maxie

list for traveling with CPAP....what have I forgotten?

Post by Maxie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:27 am

I know that many of you are experienced travelers with CPAP so I hope you will please check my packing list. This will be my first time traveling with my almost 3 month old equipment and to be honest I'm a bit nervous about it.

Carry On
CPAP and humidifier in case
Hose
Mask
Nasal Pillows
Chin restraint
special tag identifying machine as Rx

Pack in Luggage
2 small bottles of distilled water (to use until I can purchase some)
small bottle of vinegar for cleaning
Lansinoh ointment for nose
Oblas oil
Pad for Oblas oil
Clothes pins, pins and easy off hook for hanging hose
String, velcro holders for hanging hose
Mouth tape
Extension cord

Do you think I need to carry my surge protector and power failure warning?

Can you think of anything I missed that I will need? I'm going to a conference in Las Vegas and I don't want to have to search for places to purchase forgotten items.

THANK YOU in advance for your input!

nanwilson

Re: list for traveling with CPAP....what have I forgotten?

Post by nanwilson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 am

I always carry an extra mask and a surge protector in my luggage. Never know when a piece on the mask will either get lost or broken.
Have a great holiday.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

msla

Post by msla » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:50 am

A copy of your perscription. It might be handy if you should need to replace something critical while away from home. I had mine laminated and it is in my CPAP bag.

Last edited by msla on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 am

If you have time prior to your trip, you might consider the CozyHose Boss hose holder, around $20. It is small, works great and will eliminate the need to take all the hangers, pins, etc. to hang the hose. It comes with a packet of five 3M sticky pads that will adhere to most any surface and can be removed without surface damage.

James1

Post by James1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:08 am

This might seem obvious, but don't do what I did a few weeks into my therapy and forget your CPAP machine power supply

Even after a short length of time on CPAP, I was wiped out for two days because I wasn't able to use my machine... not a nice feeling!

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 pm

In addition to what you have, I always carry an extra hose and extra mask parts. Also a roll of "Rescue Tape" can come in handy if you happen to break something.

I would also suggest putting the humidifier in your checked baggage. You can live a night or two without the humidifier and this will free up some weight that you have to carry while you are moving through the airport.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:53 pm

James1 wrote:This might seem obvious, but don't do what I did a few weeks into my therapy and forget your CPAP machine power supply
Definitely - extra power cord is good idea. I got a few extra ones on eBay for my S8.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:33 pm

msla wrote:A copy of your perscription. It might be handy if you should need to replace something critical while away from home. I had mine laminated and it is in my CPAP bag.
Certainly a copy of your prescription. IF you are bringing "Distilled" water why would you need vinegar. That answer is you don't/won't. Also fwiw - I pack my distilled water right in my cpap bag. Along with my meds and anything else related to or used by my cpap. Meds are not counted against carry-on either. I put them all in one carry-on with wheels not the manuf. bag.

Why are you checking any cpap items? The whole idea of carrying this stuff on is to prevent it from being lost. I guess water can go in either. IF you are squemish about the carry-on water just put one in carry-on and two in checked.

While an extension cord is a good idea what I bring is a power strip along with an assortment of those adapter that go from 1 to 3 and 2 to 6. Esp. IF you are also carrying other things that need to be plugged in like a cell phone, bluetooth, laptop, etc. Time to count how many you will need.

On a recent trip I used quite an assortment of adapters I had carried before but never used. Whether it is someones home or a rented room there are always things plugged in like lights, radio, or alarm clocks.

I also put the Lansinoh right in with cpap mask. Tape was mentioned and can come in handy, any kind is better than nothing.
Maxie wrote:special tag identifying machine as Rx
A "special" tag is NOT required. It may make you feel better but not needed nor will anyone look at it even. The prescription is not required neither but if anyone was to question whether this machine was for your use the tag would prove nothing; the prescription would.
SMenasco wrote:If you have time prior to your trip, you might consider the CozyHose Boss hose holder, around $20. It is small, works great and will eliminate the need to take all the hangers, pins, etc. to hang the hose. It comes with a packet of five 3M sticky pads that will adhere to most any surface and can be removed without surface damage.
Cozy Hose Boss is excellent for travel. Leave that hangar contraption home.
Recently, I used the blue painters tape and a hair scrunchie to hold my hose.

Again, I pack anything even related to my cpap use in the "cpap bag" including the wires and adapters. You just can't pack things such as a toothbrush or underwear in it or technically they can say it is not an exempted carry-on.

I like the check-list concept too. I have thought about it but am just too lazy. IF you have a spare cpap, you can just leave it packed when you return home.

Good Luck and Safe Travels.

o oh if you are like me and don't want to buy their $3 bottle of drinking water, you CAN carry an empty bottle to fill from a drinking fountain
I always have a propel bottle filled with tap water. Just need to dump it just before going thru the screener. Sometimes it's in a planter, sometimes the trash can.

Edit: Filters both foam and fine.

EDIT2 = PS - Do NOT forget to empty the humidifier BEFORE packing each time. The stress and rush of travel often takes it's toll there. So add that to your checklist. Should you forget, simply do NOT power on the machine until it is completely dry. That can be a couple days, no doubt but if you do power it on and it burns up it could be a couple weeks before your fav DME can get you a replacement. So your call.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 pm

I must live dangerously...I just carry my machine with cords, mask, hose, extension cord and prescription....However, the longest I have been away is 7 days. I always felt that in an emergency I could purchase whatever I needed at pharmacy or a DME. If my machine stopped working I guess I would go without it...I went 68 years without it before I was diagnosed.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Extension cord (in checked bag) can be good if you end up in a hotel room where the outlets are in inconvenient places.

Have your prescription/statement of medical necessity on your person if you possibly can.

Even before cpap, I have always carried a small roll of duct tape with me (squashed so it fits in a side pocket of my bag). You can fix almost any travel emergency if you have duct tape!*

*I have over the years used it to fix such things as: a leaky hose, a rattling air conditioner, a detached shoe sole, a broken bag zipper, a keyhole that was actually peepable through, a blister when I ran out of bandaids, a fallen hem on a pair of trousers... you can also use it as a lint roller.

JointPain

Post by JointPain » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm

GumbyCT wrote:EDIT2 = PS - Do NOT forget to empty the humidifier BEFORE packing each time. The stress and rush of travel often takes it's toll there. So add that to your checklist. Should you forget, simply do NOT power on the machine until it is completely dry. That can be a couple days, no doubt but if you do power it on and it burns up it could be a couple weeks before your fav DME can get you a replacement. So your call.
A laminated sign attached near to where you will store your humidifier saying in big, bold letters: Empty the humidifier. You can also list your other checklist items.

It is easy to forget when you are in a rush and have lots of other distractions.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:35 am

Thank you for all of the help with my packing list. One thing...I don't have nor have ever seen my Rx. Should I call and try to get one?

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:53 am

Maxie wrote:Thank you for all of the help with my packing list. One thing...I don't have nor have ever seen my Rx. Should I call and try to get one?
You should definitely get a copy of your Rx. However, I don't carry mine with me, I've simply scanned it in and saved it on Google Docs.

Also, don't carry your distilled water in your carry on. They will only let your bring it through security if you will be using it on your flight.

To carry distilled water in my luggage, I purchased a papFLASK. Some people complained that it leaked on them, but I didn't have any issues at all. But just in case, I put my in a one-gallon ziplock bag.
CPAP for the rest of your life.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 am

davelikesbeer wrote:Also, don't carry your distilled water in your carry on. They will only let your bring it through security if you will be using it on your flight.
That may depend on who the screener is AND the mood of said screener. Meaning there are no guarantees, either way. I have always carried on my distilled water each time I flew. Sometimes with no questions, other times with some questions, yes. You may have to tell them it is "Distilled Water" for your cpap but to me that is not a problem. Should they ask how do they know it is water - ask them to do a litmus test. They do have the supplies. For some reason they are looking for peroxide, so do NOT even try if you have peroxide for some reason.

Example - what if you don't have any checked luggage? Where would you put it? Not everyone checks baggage, esp. today when they charge.
davelikesbeer wrote:To carry distilled water in my luggage, I purchased a papFLASK.
I simply used what I had, rinsed out Propel bottles. The first one had a label printed with the words "Distilled Water". On later trips I added 2 more Propel bottles, one with a piece of tape for a label, another marked with a Sharpie - "Distilled Water". The other good thing about carrying it on board with you - you will have something to drink once you pass the checkpoint

For those who don't know what a Propel bottle looks like - I prefer the older style with the wider cap, much easier to fill.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Propel+ ... 89&bih=612

For those who don't know what Propel is -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propel_Fitness_Water

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 pm

I also pack wipes to clean my mask.

All my CPAP stuff goes in the carry-on CPAP bag. That way I can still sleep, and more importantly.... wake up the next morning, even if my checked luggage goes astray.

I always take spare mask/accessories and an extra hose and silicone tape. To hang my hose, I use 3M cable minder, which has a removable adhesive strip so it doesn't damage any walls or furniture.

Cheers,
xena