Teeth and CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yulcdn

Teeth and CPAP

Post by yulcdn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I have been using CPAP for one week short of a year. My success has been remarkable as I was able to adapt to CPAP from my first night. Now the problem.. In the last few months, I have noticed that a space had developed between my front teeth. I am thinking that the situation is created because I have learned to sleep with my mouth closed but my tongue presses against my front teeth all night so as to hold the seal. This could result in my front teeth being pushed forward and thus allowing a gap to form between my front teeth. I am going to go see the dentist but I am wondering if anyone has had this problem with their teeth.

DreamStalker

Re: Teeth and CPAP

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm

It's a possibility that your tongue placement has moved your teeth. The benefits far outweigh the small gap in you teeth however.

There is an imperfect dental fad moving across the globe so you may be in phase with a new and sexy look.

http://travel.cnn.com/tokyo/life/tokyo- ... rse-035816

Adapt and survive, it's very Darwinian.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm glad to see that the imperfect teeth look has caught up with me

If your tongue really is moving you teeth at night, I'd guess they could make up a retainer type of device to wear while you sleep.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 am

I wear a night guard that my dentist made for me to protect my teeth from damage due to clenching. I've used the night guard since long before I was diagnosed with cpap. It is fitted onto my top teeth. Because it is a "soft-hard" night guard (as my dentist referred to it), it also acts as a retainer -- a nice little benefit now that I'm on cpap and doing the tongue-suctioning thing. I can feel the pressure against my top teeth and I'm thankful I've got my night guard. I think I paid about $250 for it. I can try to get more info on the "soft-hard" night guard if anyone is interested.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm

I've seen other threads here about the effects on teeth. I have been on CPAP 13 yrs & have major damage from pushing my front teeth forward, spaces between front teeth & just found out moving those front teeth has caused some bone damage too. I'm looking at major dental work over the next 18-24 mos to correct this damage.

Damage could have been prevented if my dentist at the time this started had provided me with a retainer. Basically that is the outcome that the other threads came too, but you may want to search for those yourself, some of the posts were very interesting.

I would suggest you visit your dentist & see if you need a retainer, this might save you some money & pain. I had a consultation with a potential new orthodontist this morning & I'm looking at $4800 to fix my damage IF I want to keep my front teeth. Talk about OUCH!
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 pm

As a new cpap user myself, I was wondering this too - if my tongue pressing against the my teeth when keeping my mouth closed could eventually move my teeth. Previously, I've slept with my mouth open.

Well, this is not good. I guess when I go in for my cleaning in a couple of months I will talk to my Dentist and see what he says.

Additional Comments: Pressure: 11 , OSCAR software
~ Tigerlily ~

yulcdn

Post by yulcdn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 pm

yulcdn wrote:I have been using CPAP for one week short of a year. My success has been remarkable as I was able to adapt to CPAP from my first night. Now the problem.. In the last few months, I have noticed that a space had developed between my front teeth. I am thinking that the situation is created because I have learned to sleep with my mouth closed but my tongue presses against my front teeth all night so as to hold the seal. This could result in my front teeth being pushed forward and thus allowing a gap to form between my front teeth. I am going to go see the dentist but I am wondering if anyone has had this problem with their teeth.
I went to the dentist today. It is not my imagination. My front teeth have shifted. Now it is off to the orthodontist to move my teeth back to where they are suppose to be. I think that I am heading down an expensive road. Please folks...take a good look at your front teeth. Watch the spacing..pushing your tongue against your teeth in order to avoid opening your mouth at night may be great to prevent leaks but it certainly did not help my smile.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm

I have been using cpap nearly 4 years now and all with the nasal pillows. No movement at all of my teeth.
Though I don't place my tongue directly on the back of my front teeth...it doesn't touch the teeth at all...just rests back a little more in the roof of the mouth.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 pm

I have been on CPAP / APAP for 14 1/4 years using only Nasal masks & it has had NO effect on my teeth.

I have also used a chinstrap for the last 3 years.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

fredr500

Post by fredr500 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Maybe theTap Pap mask is what you need. You mold into your top teeth and then it holds the mask in place. Seems like it would be a retainer and a mask in one.

MidnightOwl

Post by MidnightOwl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:43 pm

After about six years my upper teeth have shifted slightly. I mostly use a nasal mask (not pillows) and I believe it is due to the mask pressing backwards against the upper portion of the teeth under the gum line and shifting the lower portion forward.