ResMed AirSense 10 a good replacement for Resmed S9?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SimplyRyGuy

ResMed AirSense 10 a good replacement for Resmed S9?

Post by SimplyRyGuy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:35 am

Hi Folks-

I have a 8 or 9 year old S9 that has served me VERY well, but is now time to put out to pasture. Sometime this past year I started getting the Motor Life exceeded message, and lately I'm noticing that I am able to hear the machine clicking as I inhale. Add to that, I dropped it a year or two ago and broke off the control knob. I'm planning on getting me another S9 from a durable medical supply store that has low hours on it and will use this as a spare/travel machine, and will get me a new machine thru my health benefits. My question is- how many of you out there upgraded from the S9 to the ResMed Air Sense 10? As I already stated, I have been very pleased with how well the S9 has held up as I tend to be rough with my equipment and do travel from time to time, so it goes with me, be it in the vehicle or on the airplane. Is the Air Sense just as durable as the S9? Prior to the S9 I had a few Respironics machines which did not last more than 3 or 4 years at most before the motor bearings started acting up and became noisy.

Thanks

Ryan

palerider

Re: ResMed AirSense 10 a good replacement for Resmed S9?

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:54 am

There are several different "AirSense 10" machines, you didn't say which of the 13+ S9 machines you had. You might not need an AirSense machine at all, you might need an Aircurve machine.

clicking from a S9 usually means something loose in the humidifier, or, a capacitor in the humidifier that's just noisy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:42 am

The S10 is a very good machine. I'm thinking it is a little smaller than the S9. If you do not use the humidifier, be sure to get the plastic plate that snaps where the humidifier goes.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 am

From what we have read from forum members pertaining to equipment failure in general...it does appear we see more complaints coming from Respironics users than ResMed users.

That's not saying that ResMed has had zero failures or breakdowns but they appear to be fewer than Respironics (at least what I have seen on this forum).

Not to mention you have been using a ResMed machine for years and your body is used to the way it goes about doing its job.
If you go to a different brand of machine it is going to be using a different way of going about its job that might not suit you or simply the change causes some sort of problem.

Stick with the same brand and same whatever model you are using.
If you are unsure as to what model you need...tell us which S9 model you are using and we can point you to the same model in the new ResMed AirSense/AirCurve 10 models. They changed the names a little but the way each model goes about doing its job didn't change.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:05 am

I switched from the S9 to the Airsense 10 about 8 months ago. Very little difference, except that it seems quieter than the S9. Easy transition.

SimplyRyGuy

Post by SimplyRyGuy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:09 pm

Thank you everyone. I do not use the humidifier so the clicking is definitely coming from the machine. I figure it is some sort of valve/check valve or solenoid that changes the machine from inhale to exhale mode or vice versa. If that makes sense. But regardless I am getting a new machine :) I do want to stick with ResMed. The durable goods provider (Apria Healthcare) who has worked with me in the past with my masks and machines prior to the S9 seems to be pretty good so I am sure they'll get me squared away nicely. I was just curious what those of you who went with the Air Sense from the S9 thought about it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:15 pm

SimplyRyGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:09 pm
I was just curious what those of you who went with the Air Sense from the S9 thought about it.
Do you understand that there are several models in each line and the characteristics vary widely? Which model S9 have you been using?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:55 pm

SimplyRyGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:09 pm
Thank you everyone. I do not use the humidifier so the clicking is definitely coming from the machine. I figure it is some sort of valve/check valve or solenoid that changes the machine from inhale to exhale mode or vice versa.
Nope, there are no valves, no check valves, no solenoids, nothing but a computer and a turbine, and a couple sensors.

https://imgur.com/a/S0ojG

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SimplyRyGuy

Post by SimplyRyGuy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm

[/quote]
Do you understand that there are several models in each line and the characteristics vary widely? Which model S9 have you been using?
[/quote]

Not really, but I'll take your word for it, no questions asked.

Here's what's on the label on the back of the machine:

RESMED IP21
Made in Singapore (you didn't need to know that)
RX Only
S9 DC 24V 1.25A (FG) 3.75A (SYS LR 764510
Serial Number: 23132466402
REF: 36005 LOT 812837

On the front of the machine:
AutoSet EPR Maybe that is what you wanted?

SimplyRyGuy

Post by SimplyRyGuy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:34 pm

Ok after doing some more research I think what you needed to hear from me was S9 Autoset, as i see there is a S9 VPAP and such. I have the Autoset.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 pm

SimplyRyGuy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm
AutoSet EPR Maybe that is what you wanted?
"S9 Autoset" put that in your equipment profile.

The appropriate replacement would be a "Airsense 10 Autoset".

SimplyRyGuy

Post by SimplyRyGuy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:00 am

Thank you

Quick

Post by Quick » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:12 am

It looks like the OP's question was resolved so rather than start a new topic I'll just hijack this one :shock: . Hope that's OK.

On another thread here it occurred to me that it may be time to get a new machine....
  • Resmed S9 AutoSet
    Purchased: 2010
    Run hours: 25,529
    S/W: SX474-0601
    Heated hose (climate line?)
    EPR: off
    Ramp: off
    Min pressure: 12
    Max pressure: 18
    Diagnosed pressure: 12.5 (and it still runs about there most of the time)
    AHI: usually around 0.5 -- mostly OA and occassional CA
    Oximeter module with Nonin finger sensor
    Humidifier (5.0 - 5.5)
    Resmed ResScan: 5.9.0.9629
    Oscar: 1.0.1-r-1
    Nasal pillows: frankensteined Adam Circuit shell fitted to a nomask mouthpiece, Swift FX backup
I really like my S9. Seems the preferred transition would be to an Airsense 10 AutoSet (or AutoSet for Her?) with heated humidifier.

Will my oximeter module fit the Airsense?
Will my climate line (and it's replacement that's on deck) fit the Airsense?
Is there a SD card on the Airsense? (I understand it has some sort of wireless as well?)
Will my version of ResScan work with it (I carry my SD card to my PC)?
Does Oscar work with it?
(I always use both because I figure if a doc wants to look at it, they will be running ResScan. I like Oscar)
Will I have (or can get) access to the clinician settings?

Thanks!
Last edited by Quick on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:33 am

I really like my S9. Seems the preferred transition would be to an Airsense 10 AutoSet (or AutoSet for Her?) with heated humidifier. Yes. I did the same.

Will my O2 module fit the Airsense? Which module are you using?
Will my climate line (and it's replacement that's on deck) fit the Airsense? No.
Is there a SD card on the Airsense? Yes. (I understand it has some sort of wireless as well?) Transmits compliance data to cell tower daily.
Will my version of ResScan work with it (I carry my SD card to my PC)? Yes.
Does Oscar work with it?Yes.
(I always use both because I figure if a doc wants to look at it, they will be running ResScan. I like Oscar) Has a doc ever wanted to look at it?
Will I have (or can get) access to the clinician settings?Yes. See page 14 - https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf

Quick

Post by Quick » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 pm

Will my O2 module fit the Airsense? Which module are you using?
Will my climate line (and it's replacement that's on deck) fit the Airsense? No.
Is there a SD card on the Airsense? Yes. (I understand it has some sort of wireless as well?) Transmits compliance data to cell tower daily.
Will my version of ResScan work with it (I carry my SD card to my PC)? Yes.
Does Oscar work with it?Yes.
(I always use both because I figure if a doc wants to look at it, they will be running ResScan. I like Oscar) Has a doc ever wanted to look at it?
Will I have (or can get) access to the clinician settings?Yes. See page 14 - https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf
I typed "02" and probably should have typed "Oximeter"... Just came to mind there is likely a supplemental oxygen module. In case you actually understood what I was thinking instead of what I typed
Looks like the oximeter adapter is model A369-441/1 ?

Climate line. ...I hate that. It's like Apple phones with a different connector on every model. Oh well, I can live with that.

Yes! actually. Way back when, after a sleep study three or 4 years after my first one, I got a really great sleep doc for the follow-up. I mentioned I had tracked all my info since I started and she said to bring it in. We browsed it and talked about my interpretations and stuff . I left there with a script for "Patient selectable machine, options, mask and supplies".
Last edited by Quick on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.