Started Using Humidifier On CPAP Machine, Instantly Got Sick

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BDP87

Started Using Humidifier On CPAP Machine, Instantly Got Sick

Post by BDP87 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:56 am

So a little over a week ago I called a CPAP tech about some issues I posted on here (dry mouth in morning, API's went up, nasal congestion). He thought maybe the cold air from the AC was making the air too dry and interfering with my breathing a bit. He suggested I start using the humidifier on the lowest setting (1). I have the ResMed AirSense 10.

The first night or two, I felt some relief, and the APIs actually went back down to what they normally were. It seemed to be working out well. Fast forward to about three days ago. I started feeling some chest congestion. Thought nothing of it. Then yesterday, woke up and it was considerably worse, and I even started hacking up some nasty, green mucus, which eventually subsided over the course of the day.

I've already started a dose of antibiotics to rid myself of whatever the heck this is, but I can't help but correlate using the humidifier to suddenly hacking up thick, green mucus. I was told that in the event of a cold, it's actually BETTER to have a humidifier, to "loosen up" the gunk in your chest. Still, I am now afraid to use it. I used it reluctantly last night after cleaning out all the tubing and water tank, and then convinced myself that the tubing needed to be cleaned again today because I am sick, so I did it all over again and now I am leaning more towards not using it at all.

Now, I don't know what to do. I am scared that I may get pneumonia or something else nasty, and I really want to avoid this situation again. What do I do? Do I stop using the humidifier? Do I stay the course? I have had a bit of a history in the past with upper respiratory infections, but have not had any trouble in quite some time until this issue.

Can someone offer some advice?

MrsRinPDX

Re: Started Using Humidifier On CPAP Machine, Instantly Got Sick

Post by MrsRinPDX » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:48 am

Sounds like just a coincidence to me. I have my humidifier set to the highest setting (5) with no problems whatsoever.

Additional Comments: Pressures: IPAP 18/ EPAP 14; Secondary mask - Nuance Pro Nasal Pillow

Doug_Nightmare

Post by Doug_Nightmare » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:03 am

For me - FOR ME - a productive cough, with green or yellow colored product, would have me at my GP instanter! I regard that as first sign of bacterial pneumonia. Your sputum should be uncolored-white.

In the fall, as influenza season approaches, and hoping for a more effective multi-valence mix, I will get my first flu vaccine since 1969, AND a pneumonia vaccine.
The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:09 am

Did you use Distilled water? Some Municipal waters are terrible.

Doug_Nightmare

Post by Doug_Nightmare » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:15 am

ResMed AirSense 10 manual says distilled water. Tap water is not sterile.

Read about the hazards of Naegleria fowleri in unsterilized water for nasal irrigation (a la Netti Pot®), that can cause the brain infection primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (naegleriasis) which carries a 95% risk of fatality.
The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:36 am

Another way to look at it is that using the humidifier broke that crap up enough for you to move it out of your lungs and see that you had an infection.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 am

Barbee wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:36 am
Another way to look at it is that using the humidifier broke that crap up enough for you to move it out of your lungs and see that you had an infection.
Yes! This is what is wonderful about humidity!
It helps get that goop OUT OF YOU.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 am

First of all, use distilled water. I think it's a coincidence, but do so anyhow.

Second, try the highest setting on the humidifier. That will make the water the safest.

Third, dump the water and dry the humidifier every morning. I don't think that this is really necessary, but do it anyhow. In your case, I suggest running the machine for a half hour dry every morning (to make sure every drop pf water is gone). I don't think that things growing in the machine is really the problem, but do so in the interest in an abundance of caution.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 am

D.H. wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 am

Second, try the highest setting on the humidifier. That will make the water the safest.
Incorrect, unless the HH is broken and is boiling the water on the highest setting. "It's not"! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:32 am

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:29 am
D.H. wrote:

Incorrect, unless the HH is broken and is boiling the water on the highest setting. "It's not"! Jim
I think I can guess where he pulled that tidbit out of . . .
(the prison wallet)

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Doug_Nightmare wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:15 am
ResMed AirSense 10 manual says distilled water. Tap water is not sterile.
Neither is distilled water. The same manuals in other countries simply say "water" *NOT* distilled water.
Doug_Nightmare wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:15 am
Read about the hazards of Naegleria fowleri in unsterilized water for nasal irrigation (a la Netti Pot®), that can cause the brain infection primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (naegleriasis) which carries a 95% risk of fatality.
No, don't, because that's 100% irrelevant. You're not snorting the water that's in your humidifier tank, all you're getting is *water vapor* which cannot carry such organisms, or even bacteria or viruses.

Scare tactics like this are not welcome.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm

. wrote:
First of all, use distilled water. I think it's a coincidence, but do so anyhow.

Third, dump the water and dry the humidifier every morning. I don't think that this is really necessary, but do it anyhow. In your case, I suggest running the machine for a half hour dry every morning (to make sure every drop pf water is gone). I don't think that things growing in the machine is really the problem, but do so in the interest in an abundance of caution.
More stupid "advice" from a stupid person.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:41 pm

LSAT wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:09 am
Did you use Distilled water? Some Municipal waters are terrible.
studies have shown that it doesn't really matter.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5611769/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3716664/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16236866

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 pm

BDP87 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:56 am
dry mouth in morning
Which model mask are you using?

BDP87 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:56 am
He thought maybe the cold air from the AC was making the air too dry
You should not have your CPAP placed where an HVAC vent is blowing on it.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:58 pm

It sounds like a coincidence. You caught a cold, and it wasn't from the humidifier.

I have cough variant asthma and when I'm sick with a cold the humidification helps me enormously. With the humidifier cranked up I'm able to sleep comfortably without coughing all night. I've also gone from 6 -10 colds per year (most morphing into asthmatic bronchitis) to ONE every few years since starting CPAP.

Now I'm not recommending you crank the humidifier all the way up. We all have different tolerances for the amount of humidification and heat. You'll have to find your "sweet spot" when you are recovered from this upper respiratory infection. Some people do best with low or no humidity, some need a lot. I'm usually low to no humidity when I'm not sick.

The first question I would ask if someone was complaining about dry mouth is whether you are mouth breathing. That's the most common reason for dry mouth, and cranking up the humidity won't fix it. There are other things to try like chin straps, cervical collars, taping, a different mask. But increasing humidification is not where I'd go first.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm