Sleeping well without a CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MVPinBoynton

Sleeping well without a CPAP

Post by MVPinBoynton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:55 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I am waiting for insurance approval and will be getting a ResMed AirSense 10, based on my conversation with the provider. I never thought that I had a sleep disorder, since I am not tired in the morning or have symptoms I have read about with sleep apnea. I do snore though. The reason my doc told me to get a sleep study was that the cardiogram app through my Apple Watch showed that I occasionally had a very high heart rate when sleeping. I am glad that I found out I have the problem; but am concerned that I will not sleep as well using the CPAP rather than without. I am concerned about the discomfort and noise; as well as some of the bad experiences with CPAP machines I have read about on this board.

Hopefully, I will find out for myself when I finally get a machine; but am I worried needlessly about not sleeping better, since I already believe I am already sleeping well?
ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set
Mask: AirFit P10

FifthAvenue

Re: Sleeping well without a CPAP

Post by FifthAvenue » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Sleep apnea affects multiple body systems. You are fortunate that it was diagnosed. Many people have no trouble adapting. Do not be afraid of improving your health. You will do well.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:19 pm

MVPinBoynton wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:55 pm
I have recently been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. I am waiting for insurance approval and will be getting a ResMed AirSense 10, based on my conversation with the provider.
An airsense 10 what? There are four different ones, ranging from crap to great.

I'd suggest not settling for anything less than the AutoSet, preferably the AutoSet For Her.
MVPinBoynton wrote:
I never thought that I had a sleep disorder, since I am not tired in the morning or have symptoms I have read about with sleep apnea. I do snore though.
Snoring is bad. it disrupts rest because it increases breathing effort.
MVPinBoynton wrote:
since I already believe I am already sleeping well?
You believe wrongly, You're NOT sleeping well. The fact that you have no memory of your bad sleep doesn't change the fact that it's bad.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Thank you so much for the replies. They are appreciated.

I am glad I was diagnosed and am looking forward to the benefits of CPAP. I don’t know what model I am getting yet. I thought that all models were auto. I will make sure mine will s.

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm

I now see the different models and agree about the auto set. Since my wife doesn’t have sleep issues, I shouldn’t need the Her version.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:24 pm

People who have had zero problems with their cpap don't usually come here. They have no problems. Just assume you will be one of them. The best reason to come here BEFORE you get a cpap is to understand the different machines and masks so that you can make good financial decisions. Many people pay way more than they have to.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:41 pm

I have been reading device manual and watching videos on setting up, cleaning and reviews. I have also researched the various masks to help in that decision. Reading this forums posts has also been helpful.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:07 pm

MVPinBoynton wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm
I now see the different models and agree about the auto set. Since my wife doesn’t have sleep issues, I shouldn’t need the Her version.
It's not recommended for your wife, it's recommended for you.

It's got an extra treatment mode that may be better for you, and it costs nothing extra. Options are good to have available.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Interesting, the ResMed site says that it is for females.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Many men use them because they do have slight differences and some men prefer those... it's not a big deal either way though and who will ever care besides you?

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 pm

I do appreciate the info and am now more aware of the options when I meet with the machine provider.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:02 pm

It would be in your best interest to stay ahead of the game. I see that's already your mindset by you asking them which machine they plan to give you. Get the specifics on the machine before you meet with them so you won't feel pressured to accept a lesser one or have a delay if they have to order a different one. As far as not sleeping well when you start using CPAP, that could be your experience until you settle in, but if so, hopefully it will be brief. By its very nature, this forum draws those having problems. Likely many CPAP users out there who are doing fine and have no impetus to find their way here. About the snoring, read something a long time ago about the vibrations of snoring causing an inflammatory response. Unless convinced otherwise, I think my large swollen tongue was due to this. And my inflammatory markers in my bloodwork were always high. Within months after starting CPAP my tongue went down to its normal size. Not that this is your story, just that sleep apnea can cause issues not always readily indentifiable. Good luck with things.

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 pm

I am pretty sure my CPAP experience will be fine. Thanks for the recommendations and encouragement. It’s appreciated.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:53 pm

MVPinBoynton wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:22 pm
Interesting, the ResMed site says that it is for females.
welcome to the zoo!

i'm male and i use the "for her" model. it's just another algorithm. so far, i'm doing fine with it.

good luck!
Last edited by zonker on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

jhuckabyjr

Post by jhuckabyjr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Even if you don't have problems with CPAP, it's good to look at the various topics posted here and educate yourself. I'm pretty much status quo on my therapy, but there is nothing wrong with learning something new. I'm on here at least once a day to see what topics are posted.