Afrin nasal spray

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Afrin nasal spray

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:58 pm
If you only use it once a day (not twice, as directed), it gives your nose time to recover every day, and you won't get rebound even if you use it for weeks.
Do you use it every day (night)?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:23 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:55 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:58 pm
If you only use it once a day (not twice, as directed), it gives your nose time to recover every day, and you won't get rebound even if you use it for weeks.
Do you use it every day (night)?
I have used it for upwards of a month when sick, (without withdrawal/dependency at the end of that time) but I only use it (at night) when I *need it*...

No, I don't use it routinely every night.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

iamsleepynow

Post by iamsleepynow » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:06 pm

I enjoyed using Afrin. More than one Dr told me NO No No. I've even bought OTC 'natural' sprays that have the same ingredient an I threw those out as well.

Astelin Aerosol, Spray With Pump might be your friend. It's a non-addictive antihistamine. I use on occasion.

Diotima

Post by Diotima » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:32 pm

iamsleepynow wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:06 pm
I enjoyed using Afrin. More than one Dr told me NO No No. I've even bought OTC 'natural' sprays that have the same ingredient an I threw those out as well.

Astelin Aerosol, Spray With Pump might be your friend. It's a non-addictive antihistamine. I use on occasion.
Just use in moderation. I keep Sinex on hand for a bad night. As long as its not a nightly thing or multiple times during day you're fine.

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 am
Oxymetazoline Hcl 0.05% (Afrin and others) is a great product when used with caution. If you have temporary congestion, using it three or four days in a row will not cause rebound congestion when it is discontinued.

For longer-term use, Flonase (And Beconase, Nasonex, Omnaris, Veramyst, and similar medicines containing corticosteroids) is good.

It's a good idea for sleep apnea patients to have a consultation with an ENT.
How about NASACORT ? It has Triamcinolone acetonide 55 mcg (glucorticoid)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:56 am

Enigmas wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 pm
How about NASACORT ?
Nasacort and Flonase are about equally effective with rare side effects. I would choose based on price and easy availability. Generic versions of each are available.
Both are good options. Research suggests that nasal steroid sprays like fluticasone (Flonase Allergy Relief) and triamcinolone (Nasacort Allergy 24 HR) are the most effective stand-alone medications available for relieving congestion, sneezing, postnasal drip and other allergy symptoms. For that reason, many experts consider them the best first option for allergy sufferers. Plus, Flonase and Nasacort are both available as over-the-counter medications.

One drawback of Flonase and Nasacort is that it can take several hours before you begin to feel some relief from your allergy symptoms. And it may take several days before you get the full benefit of the drug. This means to get the best results, you should use them every day during the allergy season and not just when you have a flare-up.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:48 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:56 am
Enigmas wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 pm
How about NASACORT ?
Nasacort and Flonase are about equally effective with rare side effects. I would choose based on price and easy availability. Generic versions of each are available.
Both are good options. Research suggests that nasal steroid sprays like fluticasone (Flonase Allergy Relief) and triamcinolone (Nasacort Allergy 24 HR) are the most effective stand-alone medications available for relieving congestion, sneezing, postnasal drip and other allergy symptoms. For that reason, many experts consider them the best first option for allergy sufferers. Plus, Flonase and Nasacort are both available as over-the-counter medications.

One drawback of Flonase and Nasacort is that it can take several hours before you begin to feel some relief from your allergy symptoms. And it may take several days before you get the full benefit of the drug. This means to get the best results, you should use them every day during the allergy season and not just when you have a flare-up.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/new ... /index.htm
ChicagoGranny- Thank You very much for your very informative reply. I appreciate that..

Rninxs

Post by Rninxs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Afrin is addicting and will cause rebound congestion after using it for a long time. I felt I had to use it to be able to use nasal pillows with my CPAP so I have started weaning it down. I use a regular Afrin bottle and a bottle of Flonase and started 3 parts afrin to 1 part Flonase into empty pump spray bottle. Over time now half and half and will continue to wean afrin down. Nettie pot saline flushes are also good

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:45 pm

Rninxs wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:27 pm
Afrin is addicting and will cause rebound congestion after using it for a long time.
If by 'a long time' you mean "more than three days and nights", then yes, it is, says it right on the bottle.

If you only use it *AT NIGHT* then you can use it without 'addiction' for an extended period of time.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 am

Nasal decongestants, as pointed out by many health professionals, have serious drawbacks when used long-term.

However, I've had good luck with nasal steroids. Currently prefer Flonase Sensimist.

I used a full face mask for a year and a half but was starting to feel worn out, so I finally decided to give the Bleep DreamWay a try.
I love it, but had to sort out the mouth leak issue.

After restarting Sensimist, my leak rate is the lowest ever on a nasal mask, and AHI's are almost nonexistent.
(Had 0.1 per hour last night, compared with a typical 2-3 per hour without medication.)

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:02 am

weroberts75 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:04 am

However, I've had good luck with nasal steroids. Currently prefer Flonase Sensimist.
i use flonase or rather the costco generic equivalent. (hat tip to dogslobber) i've seen the sensimist variant in the grocery store.

can you tell me the difference? or at least as you perceive it?

thanks!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:34 am

zonker wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:02 am
weroberts75 wrote:

i use flonase or rather the costco generic equivalent. (hat tip to dogslobber) i've seen the sensimist variant in the grocery store.

thanks!
The main difference is that Sensimist is delivered as a very fine mist that you can barely feel, smell, or taste.

The Sensimist is also slightly different drug. (It uses the active ingredient of the discontinued Veramyst.)

I also find the Sensimist dispenser easier to use.
It is comfortable to hold, and if you've clicked, you've sprayed.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:38 am

weroberts75 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:34 am
zonker wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:02 am
weroberts75 wrote:

thanks!
The main difference is that Sensimist is delivered as a very fine mist that you can barely feel, smell, or taste.

The Sensimist is also slightly different drug. (It uses the active ingredient of the discontinued Veramyst.)

I also find the Sensimist dispenser easier to use.
It is comfortable to hold, and if you've clicked, you've sprayed.
thanks for that. maybe costco will see fit to do a generic knock off of THAT.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Good info, thanks..

kell420

Post by kell420 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am

After the 1st year of using my CPAP I started to develop nasal swelling where within 2-3 minutes putting the mask on my nose would plug up. If I removed the mask my nose would return to normal after a few minutes. I also started using Oxymetazoline products as stated I got addicted to it was using it every few hours.

I went to the sleep doctor she prescribed me Azelastine HCI and said to also use Triamcinolone (Nasacort) then after a month drop the Nasacort keep using the Azelastine. That worked not as well as the Oxymetazoline products enough to get by. Over 2018 my nose slowly begin to plug up again where I could only sleep about 4 hours I would have to use the Nasacort and Azelastine to just sleep 6 hours. 6 months ago I added Flownase I was using all 3 Nasacort, Azelastine, and Flownase twice at night.

Starting in 2020 this year that stopped working in order to get a full night sleep I'm back on Oxymetazoline (Afrin). I use it once before I go to bed last about 12 hours when I'm at work the next day it does plug up again rebounding but I don't use it again my nose unplugs on it's own after about an hour. Usually not that bad because if I get up and walk around it seems to unplug not really that bad since I'm not sleeping.

I'm using a full face mask resmed 10 airsense with distilled water heating the hose to 70 this time of year I'm in Arizona low humidity. I set the humidifier to 5 or 6 depending on how dry it is. I'm using cloth sleeve over the hose I don't get any water in the tube. All I can figure out is I must be allergic to the plastic something causing this because for the first year I never had any of these issues.

I'm considering looking into the inspire device implant if I can't resolve this. I would like to not have to do that as I'm happy using the CPAP other then this one problem.