Afrin nasal spray

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enigmas

Afrin nasal spray

Post by Enigmas » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 pm

Curious if anyone has experience using Afrin* nasal spray. I have been trying it, really opens me up. But has a warnings on it if you have other health issues etc..

Appreciate any input.. TIA.

Janknitz

Re: Afrin nasal spray

Post by Janknitz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm

You should limit your use of this, it's highly addictive!

I spent a miserable time getting off it. Afrin and other sprays like it cause rebound nasal congestion. You get immediate relief, and then stuff up again so bad that it seems you can't breath at all and the only thing that helps is more Afrin. At one point I needed to use it every half hour--wwwwwwaaaaaayyyyy too much (and can cause rapid heartbeat and other systemic side effects--I had them). It took me about 5 miserable days to wean off it--I never experienced withdrawal from an illicit drug but if it is worse than that, no thank you! That was terrible!!!

I will not ever use a nasal decongestant again. Saline is the only thing that I spray in my nose.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 pm

Thank your Very much for your detailed & informative reply.. I'm throwing it out now. I did use it yesterday prior to some yardwork, I was breathing easy as could be.
Today I'm so clogged up, I feel like I have plugs in my nose. Guess I have to ride this congestion out then..

A friend said it burnt out the middle of her nose. I looked up her nose, sure enough, it had a hole opening side to side.

I do also have Saline nose spray. That will be what I use "if needed.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:47 pm

Enigmas wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 pm
Curious if anyone has experience using Afrin* nasal spray. I have been trying it, really opens me up. But has a warnings on it if you have other health issues etc..

Appreciate any input.. TIA.
The trick to using Afrin without getting dependent on it is to *NOT* use it as directed.

Just use it *at night only* .... not during the day... and you won't become dependent on it for weeks.

If you somehow do become dependent, then stop using it on *one side* let that side get back to normal, so that you can breathe, then finally stop on the other side.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Enigmas wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 pm
Thank your Very much for your detailed & informative reply.. I'm throwing it out now. I did use it yesterday prior to some yardwork, I was breathing easy as could be.
Today I'm so clogged up, I feel like I have plugs in my nose. Guess I have to ride this congestion out then..
One day's use *will not* cause the rebound effect..
Enigmas wrote:
A friend said it burnt out the middle of her nose. I looked up her nose, sure enough, it had a hole opening side to side.
Afrin doesn't do that... coke will

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm
Enigmas wrote:
One day's use *will not* cause the rebound effect..
Enigmas wrote:

Afrin doesn't do that... coke will
OK, then, I have used Afrin before, just when I really get clogged up.. But I have now thrown it out. I don't need to add issues to my life..

And that gal did have a history of using coke. But has been clean 24 years.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Enigmas wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:54 pm
And that gal did have a history of using coke. But has been clean 24 years.
I don't think that septums grow back... but I could be wrong.

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:34 pm

It has not grown back in 24 years, I think that is permanent.

I hear ya about only night use of Afrin. I think it is better for me to abandon any use of it altogether.

Are there any safe nasal sprays. I never used to have allergies, now I sure do..

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Enigmas wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:34 pm
It has not grown back in 24 years, I think that is permanent.

I hear ya about only night use of Afrin. I think it is better for me to abandon any use of it altogether.

Are there any safe nasal sprays. I never used to have allergies, now I sure do..
try flonase. works for me.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

bjhunt01

Post by bjhunt01 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:07 am

I have an allergy to something in Texas all year long. I will use Afrin 3 nights only. Then some Fluonase. Then an antihistamine at night. So I try to vary everything because you know everything is going to kill you or rot out your brain if you use it consistently :shock: :lol:

ShiftWorker

Post by ShiftWorker » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:44 am

I have been through the Afrin ordeal, that was not a fun thing to get over. I will occasionally use Afrin type decongestant but only when needed. I do take one 10 mg Loratadine tablet daily and use Flonaise twice daily, needed or not and this works well for me. since moving to Colorado 10 years ago I have bad allergies to most of the grasses and trees in my area, and the fire season gets to me also. I use the tabs and flonaise starting mid February through October and have not had any problems, I just use daily to never let the problem get started! If I do become congested I will use the Afrin to get cleared up so the Flonaise can get to where it will work. My Primary doc and cardiologist are fine with me doing this.

Diotima

Post by Diotima » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Sinex Ultra-fine mist is pretty good on a particularly bad night... key is to not use it to often or for days/nights on end. Once every few days is fine I think.

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone for all the replies.. I threw out the Afrin. And won't ever get any more.

I should talk to my Dr & see what he says, he knows me pretty well.. Lots of great info here, Thanks again..

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:37 pm

Enigmas wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:19 pm
I threw out the Afrin. And won't ever get any more.
To each his own... I bought a three pack at Costco recently :)

Enigmas

Post by Enigmas » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 pm

I don't need anymore headaches.. LOL