New or Used Machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
slapmeawake1

New or Used Machine?

Post by slapmeawake1 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:52 am

I was just given a new Respironics M Series Auto w/c-flex from Apria. My question is regarding a sticker that was on the bottom of the machine which says Respironics(logo) Recertified Device. Its a little blue sticker. I feel like this machine had a problem and was repaired hence the sticker. I called Apria and they insist they only give out new machines and don't know what the sticker means. I told them either find out what it means or I'm contacting my insurance company to investigate why they are paying for a new machine and I'm getting a used one. Does anyone know what this sticker means? I don't want to make a big stink if its innocent but they really couldn't explain anything for me and I'm very suspicious. I have had issues with Apria and am thinking about going to another DME provider. They are no help to me as a patient and just throw a mask at me and never offer any real constructive help for me as I struggle. Anyway, could someone help me out on this one? Thanks from a newbie.

Wulfman

Re: New or Used Machine?

Post by Wulfman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:07 am

slapmeawake1 wrote:I was just given a new Respironics M Series Auto w/c-flex from Apria. My question is regarding a sticker that was on the bottom of the machine which says Respironics(logo) Recertified Device. Its a little blue sticker. I feel like this machine had a problem and was repaired hence the sticker. I called Apria and they insist they only give out new machines and don't know what the sticker means. I told them either find out what it means or I'm contacting my insurance company to investigate why they are paying for a new machine and I'm getting a used one. Does anyone know what this sticker means? I don't want to make a big stink if its innocent but they really couldn't explain anything for me and I'm very suspicious. I have had issues with Apria and am thinking about going to another DME provider. They are no help to me as a patient and just throw a mask at me and never offer any real constructive help for me as I struggle. Anyway, could someone help me out on this one? Thanks from a newbie.
Sounds like a "refurb" to me. They probably got a great deal on them.....and are now charging you and your insurance the full price for it.
Maybe a call to Respironics, complaining about the lousy service would get them a much-needed kick in the ass.....?
After all, this was the reasoning behind Respironics, ResMed and Fisher & Paykel doing their "price-fixing" scheme.....because they claimed that the online sellers weren't offering the support that the brick & mortar sellers were.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:31 am

When I received my first CPAP from Apria, we found that it was too noisy. After 1 week they exchanged it for me. Perhapps these trial/exchanges are cleaned up and re-sold.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 am

LSAT wrote:Perhaps these trial/exchanges are cleaned up and re-sold.
What else would the DME's do with all the returned rentals they must get from those who are suckered into believing they cannot manage their own treatment and are thus left in the dark of mismanaged or unmanaged treatment and finally throw in the towel?......and/or from those who do the math and find that they are better off buying their machine out of pocket and managing their own treatment with the help of this forum, than to feed the DME/insurance racket??
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:43 pm

In all fairness, there may be many refurbs/recertified machines that are better than "new".
(somebody else worked the bugs out of them first)

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:19 pm

I would think a call or e-mail to Respironics w/the serial number should get you the real "skinny" on this device.

Of course, if Apria "loaned" it out and the "loanee" didn't register for the guaranetee .... heck, you never know until you try.

Turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in. I was told that the REAL ACTUAL hours on the device would be the first numbers on the LCD screen.

Or when they "refurbish", can they then erase the actual hours on it? Probably so. But WHO does the refurbishing? You think Apria has someone any place on staff smart enough to do so?

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

jnk

Post by jnk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:46 pm

My guess, from the way the sticker was described, is that the machine was sent back to the Respironics distributer to get recertified.

But I think Den's point is a particularly good one. I prefer buying refurbished for many products. Usually someone has to sign-off on that specific machine being up-to-date and running properly as part of the recertification. That generally doesn't happen with brand new products.

MusicMan

Post by MusicMan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:55 pm

jnk wrote:My guess, from the way the sticker was described, is that the machine was sent back to the Respironics distributer to get recertified.
Your "guess" is probably wrong as usual. If you keep expressing your opinions, the boys in the backroom are going to throw eggs and tomatoes at you. I wouldn't even begin to express my opinion here for at least two years. So, my recommendation is that you just stifle your opinions from now on. Do you hear me correctly? Am I making myself clear?

slapmeawake1

Post by slapmeawake1 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:04 pm

All good points but if Apria wants to sell refurbs then the price should reflect that. My insurance co. paid in full top dollar for the machine. To me it is like buying a car that is supposed to be brand new and find out later someone had actually driven it around for awhile and they set the mileage back and sold it at the new price instead of as a used model. Fraud anyway you look at it. No one called me back today from Apria so will probably have to take it further Monday. Respironics was closed today for the holiday, they were the first ones I called. I'm sick of Apria acting like they care about patients when it seems all they care about is money and cheating the insurance companies. I just tried to see some numbers and the only one I see is 19774 for compliance. Does this mean hrs? Thanks again everyone.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Ya got me what that 19774 could be. The Respironics M Series Auto w/A-Flex hasn't been out long enough for someone to put that many hours on it considering 8 hours a night. If I remember correctly the M Series came on the market in 2006, 2005 at the earliest. And the M Series Auto w/A-Flex came out even later, the M Series Auto w/C-Flex came first.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:56 pm

19774 sounds like it could be the compliance check code that "M" series has but only DME's or Respironics knows how to translate it. I know it is generally a 5 didget number. To find out the real usage the next screen after the compliance check screen is the Summary Data screen and should give Therapy Hours and Blower Hours. I am not sure but I was told by one DME that Respironics does not reset these even when it is repaired,

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Kerwin

Post by Kerwin » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:27 pm

It was made in 1991-1992. As for value, I really couldn't find a website which offered this service. All I could find was the manufacture date. I'm sorry. Good luck.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:36 pm

You are mistaken, Kerwin. The Respironics M Series Auto w/A-Flex was NOT manufactured before 2005 at the earliest. I don't think they had even developed an autoPAP that early in the 1990s.

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:45 pm

Slinky wrote:You are mistaken, Kerwin. The Respironics M Series Auto w/A-Flex was NOT manufactured before 2005 at the earliest. I don't think they had even developed an autoPAP that early in the 1990s.
Of course you're right, Slink. But All three of Kerwin's posts seem to be either incredibly irrelevant, or in this case relevant-sounding while making absolutely no sense. I think Kerwin really wants to get this link displayed: nashville airport bna limo service (those spam words then hyperlink to a limo pricing service)

There was simply no basis for that 1991-1992 answer by Kerwin. Kerwin's other answers on this message board make even less sense. Anybody need a limo out of Nashville?

slapmeawake

Post by slapmeawake » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:41 am

The usage and blower hrs. were zero so if they don't reset the numbers it wasn't used. I wonder why it would have had to be recertified by Respironics if it was brand new? I'll find out more Monday I guess, I'm not letting it drop. It was a Auto CPAP M series with C/Flex not A/Flex by the way. My insurance wouldn't cover a/flex, just c/flex. I haven't been using it anyway. Thanks for the answers everyone. It is always a struggle with Apria. As a fairly new patient who is now having sleep issues again after having a year of good therapy I'm very bummed. Good info on this site and has helped me tremendously. Wish Apria had told me one percent of what I've learned here and they are supposed to be RT. What a joke.