Pat downs because of CPAP machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bailachel

Re: Pat downs because of CPAP machines

Post by bailachel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 am

I fly several times each month. I have NEVER been patted down because of my CPAP. (I was patted down once because I am a ballroom dancer and didn't have time to take my hair down before flying home from a competition. All the hairpins set off the alarm. The TSA agents were very nice and apologized for patting don my french twist, but had to make sure that I didn't have anything hidden in my hair. )

The credit card machine I carry for work, tested positive one time, but they didn't pat me down. I think it tested that way because I had made the mistake of fertilizing my plants before packing. duh. won't do that again.

howkim

Post by howkim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 pm

bailachel wrote: I have NEVER been patted down because of my CPAP.
I fly a couple of times a year. The only time I've ever been patted down was the time I made the mistake of wearing my newest underwire bra.

I am not a mushroom.

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:39 pm

The problem comes if I never see the prescription and don't get to select where I want it filled.
Exactly my point. I never meant to imply that the prescription was mine to keep. However, the Dr. should never be demanding that the prescription be filled by a pharmacy, DME, whatever, of HIS choice. That leads to kickbacks, etc. that could a serious problem. Not all Doctors, pharmacists and DME's are honest. Therefore, the original prescription goes in my hand to be filled where I want to take my business. It is not the Dr's choice.
Bill
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Federal law dictates that the generating facility is the owner of a medical record. HOWEVER, the patient, the subject of the medical record, has a legal right to a COPY of that medical record.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:51 pm

dvejr wrote: Explosives are a whole other challenge. Drugs have been smuggled in breast implants for years. I am unaware of any successful use of exploding implants,
I can imagine the potential damage if someone with Dolly Parton's physique decided to erupt....

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Slinky wrote:Federal law dictates that the generating facility is the owner of a medical record. HOWEVER, the patient, the subject of the medical record, has a legal right to a COPY of that medical record.
That is true, but the legal prescription to be filled by a pharmacist, DME, whatever will be given to me, the patient. The patient then takes that piece of paper to wherever they want it filled. No problems, just what is required by law. If the Dr. gives me a copy that can not be legally filled, what good is that?
Only one real prescription should exist, copies can be made but these can not be filled. If they could, a person could make several copies and get the script filled at multiple pharmacies. Therefore, the doc can have a copy, if he wants one in my file, I get the one and only original, give it to the pharmacist of MY choice, and the pharmacist files it for possibly 6 years as required by law. I have read on this forum that a script for use of XPAP has helped some travelers. My doc gave me an extra original script for CPAP.COM. and to carry with me when traveling. He likes the idea.
Bill
Last edited by wlenz on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

JayC

Post by JayC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Regarding getting a copy of the script: I used the line that when I am traveling, I would need a script in hand because on a friday my DME would not likely be able to arrange a machine fast enough so I could actually go no more than one night without sleeping. I travel for an extended period in the late winter, and these days have been doing another such trip in the early fall. I'd need to be able to walk in and rent something locally to tide me over until my usual DME could effect a swap/repair/whatever.

Walked out with an original script in hand.

Originally, the DME was selected for me (not sure if I got the best of the 3 available or usually assigned or what...) and I had the prescribed machine delivered to my home by the RT who did sit with me and go through several things. Luckily, and thankfully, I found CPAPTalk before my goods were delivered, and that made a huge difference in understanding, compliance, comfort, and knowing when I was being given lies or errors as explanations (and sadly, I WAS!) by the RT and others at the DME.

My sleep doc is a good guy and a good doc and LOVES that I have the software..... but I can't quite express his expression when I brought the issue of script up. No argument, no problem, but my request seemed to possibly startly him, or something. But my reason was reasonable, and necessary as a plan b if I had any problems while away. And, of course, I can use it online if I want to pay out of pocket for something. Win-win.

J

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:46 am

bailachel wrote:I fly several times each month. I have NEVER been patted down because of my CPAP. .
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have had a companion pass on Southwest for over a decade. I fly free when my husband flies, so I fly often. The incident over the 4th of July was the first time I'd been patted down over the CPAC. I will probably worry every time I go through security now. While on the trip, I worried more about having to go through security to get home than I did about the surgery scheduled right after I got home.

howkim

Post by howkim » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:49 am

Slinky wrote:Federal law dictates that the generating facility is the owner of a medical record. HOWEVER, the patient, the subject of the medical record, has a legal right to a COPY of that medical record.
My doc gave me an original with no problem when I requested something to have in case my machine quit. It's a fairly new machine.

I am not a mushroom.

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:09 am

I fly within the USA a lot. I had a hip replacement and sometimes I set off the metal detector...depends on the sensitivity setting that day and time. As for the pat down that follows the alarm going off...you will only be patted where the wand detects a metal and that is surface metal. I have never had my hip patted. LOL. So, in the future do not wear the under wire bra. CPAP has nothing to do with being patted down. I have gone through the metal detector without setting it off yet my CPAP machine is still tested.
Know the rules, follow the rules and security is easier.

dvejr

Post by dvejr » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:33 am

Sharon1225 wrote: While on the trip, I worried more about having to go through security to get home than I did about the surgery scheduled right after I got home.
I understand that, previously, you found some of the replies you received here to your earlier messages to be offensive. So choosing my words carefully (I have no wish to cause you personal offense), I point out that a woman who fears having her breasts touched through her clothing by a security guard MORE than she fears being sliced open by a knife is, how shall I put this - in a very small minority.

Doug

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:27 am

Sharon,
Wait a second--what surgery? Bless your heart! If the surgery has happened already, I hope everything was easy-breezy. If you're still in pre-surgery mode, hope it all goes better than you've anticipated. Let us know!

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:39 am

Webbie,

If you set off the alarm when you walk through, they'll wave the wand and only touch where the wand goes off. If the wand goes off when they test your CPAC machine, they give you a full body pat down and touch you all over. Then they take the gloves they touched you with and test them. They only do that to the person who says the machine belongs to them. If there's more than one person traveling together and they were trying to blow up the plane, all they would have to do is just have the one who hadn't handled explosive claim ownership of the CPAC and they'd all be able to get on with the machine.

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:47 am

brazospearl wrote:Sharon,
Wait a second--what surgery? Bless your heart! If the surgery has happened already, I hope everything was easy-breezy. If you're still in pre-surgery mode, hope it all goes better than you've anticipated. Let us know!
>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Brazospear,

You are so kind. Thank you for the good wishes. The surgery was yesterday. I had my gall bladder out. It's amazing how simple that surgery is now. It was easy-breezy.

Hawthorne,

I'm not afraid of surgery, I trust the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, and the pain pills. Also, it was done for my well being.

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Sharon,
Glad to hear it went well. I know several people who felt 100% better after this surgery. Hope that's true for you, too!