Over a month on CPAP, AHI 20.53

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Over a month on CPAP, AHI 20.53

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Uff Da wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:31 pm
palerider wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:33 pm
Snores aren't grunts, or goans ... they're a vibration in the flow pattern.
These are classic snores on the inhalation part of the breath curve:
Okay, just trying to understand this. Wouldn't the sounds one is likely to make when one is in pain with every move also cause a vibration in the flow pattern?
Nope, far too high a frequency.
Uff Da wrote:
And how do I get a chart like that from my so-called snores?
Zoom in in the sleepyhead flow trace.. that's what that was.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Okay, figured it out. Here's part of the zoomed in flow rate along with part of the snore chart. Does that look like a snore to you? They don't even look like the waves correspond very well to the indications of snore on the snore chart. Terribly confusing. Can you enlighten me on what I'm seeing?
Attachments
CPAP 06-09-snore.jpg
CPAP 06-09-snore.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 25450 times

Snoregone Conclusion

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Uff Da wrote:
palerider wrote:
Okay, just trying to understand this. Wouldn't the sounds one is likely to make when one is in pain with every move also cause a vibration in the flow pattern?

(As an aside, I never thought that some of these details resulting from that bloomin' apnea would turn out to be rather interesting - and fun.) So much to learn yet, though.
I nominate you to write the new book, "Fun With Obstructive Sleep Apnea" which I suspect would be a real snore-fest :mrgreen:

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:38 am

Uff Da wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:26 pm
Okay, figured it out. Here's part of the zoomed in flow rate along with part of the snore chart. Does that look like a snore to you? They don't even look like the waves correspond very well to the indications of snore on the snore chart. Terribly confusing. Can you enlighten me on what I'm seeing?
Your machine is leaking too much at this point it is in large leak hence the light grey background to really tell what’s going on that is why a UA was recorded not a good example of a snore

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:51 am

Snoregone Conclusion wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:29 pm
Uff Da wrote:
palerider wrote:

(As an aside, I never thought that some of these details resulting from that bloomin' apnea would turn out to be rather interesting - and fun.) So much to learn yet, though.
I nominate you to write the new book, "Fun With Obstructive Sleep Apnea" which I suspect would be a real snore-fest :mrgreen:
Au contraire, It'll be a snoreless fest.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 am

Uff Da wrote:
I believe that the reporting on the snore line lags the flow line, because it, like several other indications, are moving averages.

If you look at the inhalations around 6:32:00, you'll see the jagged tops, then an apnea, then recovery breaths, (which make me feel that if your leaks were less bad, would have been flagged as an obstructive.

When you're looking at the flow chart, it's a bit helpful to turn on the zero dotted line, so you can better see where you go from inhale to exhale.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:56 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:38 am
Uff Da wrote:
Your machine is leaking too much at this point it is in large leak hence the light grey background to really tell what’s going on that is why a UA was recorded not a good example of a snore
The snores are before the apnea. Yes, it's an UA because of LL, but there's evidence of snoring too.

Snoregone Conclusion

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 am

palerider wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:51 am
Snoregone Conclusion wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:29 pm
Uff Da wrote:
palerider wrote:

Au contraire, It'll be a snoreless fest.
My suggestion didn’t live up to my username.

I feel such a deep sense of sleepless shame! :lol:

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Well, if I snored during that last session Friday night, I must have been snoring when awake. I examined the charts again and see that, while the time I checked the pressure and found it to be 14 may have been about ten minutes before the "snore" I posted, there was another brief "snore" less than a minute after I checked. And I know I didn't fall asleep in that length of time. In fact, I would have still been holding my alarm clock in my hands at that time.

Anyway, I've also been known to sleepwalk and to act out my dreams in my waking sleep, so that zone between sleeping and waking can sometimes get rather crazy.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Uff Da wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Well, if I snored during that last session Friday night, I must have been snoring when awake. I examined the charts again and see that, while the time I checked the pressure and found it to be 14 may have been about ten minutes before the "snore" I posted, there was another brief "snore" less than a minute after I checked. And I know I didn't fall asleep in that length of time. In fact, I would have still been holding my alarm clock in my hands at that time.

Anyway, I've also been known to sleepwalk and to act out my dreams in my waking sleep, so that zone between sleeping and waking can sometimes get rather crazy.
If you mean this: Image

That pattern on the left is pretty classic sleep breathing form... is that proof you were asleep? no, awake breathing is usually more sinusoidal.

brief example: http://www.osahelp.com/#6

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks for that link. Interesting stuff. I did a brief search yesterday for more info on it, but didn't have the time to wade through all the links that didn't provide what I was looking for.

Here is a graph of the brief "snore" I had within one minute of the time I would likely have checked my pressure when I felt it increasing and found it to be 14.
Attachments
CPAP 06-08-18C.jpg
CPAP 06-08-18C.jpg (114.94 KiB) Viewed 25395 times

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Last night I had another session starting about 12:50 AM and lasting about an hour in which I didn't get to sleep at all. During this period I felt a weird rattling sensation in my chest and wondered if it might be Cheynes Stokes respiration. I'd only first heard of such a thing a couple of weeks ago and noted after downloading Sleepyhead that on June 4 I had one night of Cheynes Stokes for about 45 minutes. That was the only night with it - until last night.

Since I was aware of the abnormal breathing pattern, I deliberately changed it. Then I got up, did some other things and went back to bed and slept without the CPAP until much later this morning. I really don't know if there is anything that can be done about such a breathing pattern other than to do what I did - deliberately change it if it happens when awake. Of course, the Sleepyhead report shows some OAs during this period. Something more for me to talk to my doctor about next week.

On another topic, my three-inch cervical collar arrived yesterday and I tried it out last night. It does seem a bit too wide, so I can't tighten it as much as would be expected, but it does seem to keep my chin from dropping better than the 2.5 inch one did. It didn't change the fact that I had bad leaks last night, but I suspect those were from other causes. Will try this out another couple of nights. If it proves out, then when I see the DME person on Thursday, I won't have to limit myself to full face masks.

I also used the homemade mask liner again last night. I had a nice happy face when using "check mask fit" but a frown both times I woke up. And the leaks as shown in SH are terrible. But at least the leaks didn't wake me, so I got a little more sleep with the mask on.

What's that small red line among all the green ones on the pressure chart?
Attachments
CPAP 06-09-18B.jpg
CPAP 06-09-18B.jpg (254.89 KiB) Viewed 25390 times

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Uff Da wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm
Last night I had another session starting about 12:50 AM and lasting about an hour in which I didn't get to sleep at all. During this period I felt a weird rattling sensation in my chest and wondered if it might be Cheynes Stokes respiration.
CSR isn't a 'rattling sensation', it's a waxing and waning of breathing with central apneas in between the breaths.

Uff Da wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm
What's that small red line among all the green ones on the pressure chart?
What red line? also, don't shrink your charts. It makes them fuzzy and hard to read.

Uff Da

Post by Uff Da » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:26 pm

CSR isn't a 'rattling sensation', it's a waxing and waning of breathing with central apneas in between the breaths.
Well, call it what you will. I felt a weird sensation, and wondered if it might be Cheynes Stokes, since I knew I'd had that about a week ago and some people refer to it as a rattle. And the SH report shows that at that time I did, in fact, have a CSR that lasted 18 minutes 42 seconds - during the same time period I felt the sensation.
palerider wrote:
What red line?
There is a tiny little red dash among the green on the pressure graph. I've seen it on other graphs, too, and wondered what it might refer to. Here, I'll extend that graph so it can be better seen.
palerider wrote:
also, don't shrink your charts. It makes them fuzzy and hard to read.
How can one NOT have to shrink one's charts if one is to get all the information side by side that is shown in the instructions I've seen for doing this (per link below) and that other people are showing in their posts? Are there different instructions elsewhere?

https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur
Attachments
CPAP 06-09-18D.jpg
CPAP 06-09-18D.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 25374 times
Last edited by Uff Da on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:17 pm

I never shrink the reports. There is no need to.
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

I don't know what you are doing to need to shrink them but if I can do this...anyone else can also.
Oh...I have no idea why the red line. I have never seen it before on that graph.
If you click on the image you can enlarge it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.