Supplemental oxygen eliminates morning blood pressure rise in sleep apnea patients

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Supplemental oxygen eliminates morning blood pressure rise in sleep apnea patients

Post by D.H. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am

This article states that supplemental oxygen can prevent a rise in blood pressure associated with the cessation of CPAP treatment.

The study was done on twenty-five adults in the UK who were successfully using CPAP for at least one year. i really have to question why they were taken off CPAP, and whether such an experiment is ethical.

Link ===> https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/201 ... 071818.php

Goofproof

Re: Supplemental oxygen eliminates morning blood pressure rise in sleep apnea patients

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:16 am

Huge test, bound to be real science, another on from the Wastebasket. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Re: Supplemental oxygen eliminates morning blood pressure rise in sleep apnea patients

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:16 am
Do you really expect anything else from DH?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lamar2217

Post by lamar2217 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:28 pm
Goofproof wrote:
It is unfortunate that Pale Rider's mean spirited sarcasm diminishes the worth of his knowledge.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:42 pm

lamar2217 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 pm
palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
It is unfortunate that Pale Rider's mean spirited sarcasm diminishes the worth of his knowledge.
it's unfortunate that you post your trolling bullshit on this forum.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:36 pm

D.H. wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am
This article states that supplemental oxygen can prevent a rise in blood pressure associated with the cessation of CPAP treatment.

The study was done on twenty-five adults in the UK who were successfully using CPAP for at least one year. i really have to question why they were taken off CPAP, and whether such an experiment is ethical.

Link ===> https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/201 ... 071818.php
No one here knows why they did what they did. Your question would be best answered by the so called author of the junk article.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 pm

palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:
I'm waiting to be surprised, so far No Joy! Just Trash Can Prose.

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:43 pm

lamar2217 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 pm
palerider wrote:

Karma, lamar2217, karma. Chances are it's already happened. No one can be like he is and live a healthy, happy, fulfilled life.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:47 pm

. wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 pm
palerider wrote:
. wrote:
I'm waiting to be surprised, so far No Joy! Just Trash Can Prose.
Amusing that you called him out for stupid first, yet the morons ignore your critical posts... says *far* more about them... doesn't it. :D

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Interesting study...

No one died during the study so that seems to indicate that a person may be able to live through an extended power outage.

If my BP was 140/90 (high) and I responded similar to what that group did, it would drop to 133/85 (still high). That still leaves me at Stage 1 hypertension but does drop me out of Stage 2. This is better but not ideal.

The drop in ODI is actually more interesting, but it makes sense that if you are supplying oxygen that your blood levels would experience less desaturation. A drop of about 24 would indicate that these people started with an ODI > 30 or something like that. A healthy person has an ODI < 5.

Since there was no significant change in AHI nor in any subjective observations, this doesn't seem to be a good replacement for CPAP. However, if your BP is a little high it may help.

If I may "play" with this statement...

"...given that elevated levels of blood pressure put them at greater risk for heart attack and stroke."

I am surprised that they didn't follow that up with a caution against exercise... :)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:42 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:35 pm
Interesting study...

No one died during the study so that seems to indicate that a person may be able to live through an extended power outage.

If my BP was 140/90 (high) and I responded similar to what that group did, it would drop to 133/85 (still high). That still leaves me at Stage 1 hypertension but does drop me out of Stage 2. This is better but not ideal.

The drop in ODI is actually more interesting, but it makes sense that if you are supplying oxygen that your blood levels would experience less desaturation. A drop of about 24 would indicate that these people started with an ODI > 30 or something like that. A healthy person has an ODI < 5.

Since there was no significant change in AHI nor in any subjective observations, this doesn't seem to be a good replacement for CPAP. However, if your BP is a little high it may help.

If I may "play" with this statement...

"...given that elevated levels of blood pressure put them at greater risk for heart attack and stroke."

I am surprised that they didn't follow that up with a caution against exercise... :)
SHH! That's the topic of their next paid tripe! :lol: Jim