Newbie: drying hose away from home

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cuisinartoh

Newbie: drying hose away from home

Post by cuisinartoh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 am

Hi! This is my first post. I've been using CPAP for a month, and I have a pretty good cleaning regime. Each morning I take the cushion, heated hose, and short hose that came with my N20 into the shower with me. I hand clean my mask cushion and the short hose with Mask Brite each morning in the shower. I just rinse the heated hose. I haven't been using the humidifier the last couple of weeks so I don't bother to rinse it. I have the Hurricane dryer that works very well. The hoses do not completely dry on their own by night time without the dryer, even when hanging.

Here's the question: If I travel for one or two nights for work, I don't rinse either hose but I do wash the cushion. I let it air dry. However, when I go camping for a week or more in my travel trailer, I'd like to wash or rinse the hoses and not take the Hurricane with me. Do you have any advice for drying out the hose in a 12 hour timeframe without the Hurricane? I suppose I could use my wife's hair dryer to help it along but that seems time consuming. Do you have any advice for a CPAP & camping newbie?

Thanks!
--
Ed Jones - K8MEJ - Lewis Center, Ohio U.S.A

Julie

Re: Newbie: drying hose away from home

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:57 am

Very many of us have not cleaned hoses in literal decades - not unless we've actually seen anything that required attention on specific occasions. Whie the co. says to wash everything every day etc, doing so can shorten the life of equipment (requiring you to buy more... ahem) and in the case of hoses, there's almost never a need to do anything at all. And even if you choose to do so, a few minutes on the blower will dry them out anyhow - certainly won't hurt you to have a tiny added bit of moisture for that long. And baby wipes on the mask are usually sufficient, as might be even wkly mild soap and water if you choose.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:03 am

I have been using the same slimline hose for 4 years..I have never "cleaned" it. I have rinsed it a few times and never dried it. It still looks and operates like new. The ResMed machines continue to blow air at a low speed for about 15-20 minutes after being turned off...that is to dry the hose.

cuisinartoh

Post by cuisinartoh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:18 am

Alrighty, then. I can skip the daily rinse & dry on the hoses, which means I could probably sell the gently used Hurricane I have at home :lol:
--

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:43 am

You can use the hose when it is still damp. No problems. it will just give you some extra humidity. I don't wash my long hose unless I have been in a hotel. Then I'm just washing it to clean the outside after it laid on a hotel bed. And I only do that after I have come home from the hotel.
When I was new to this, I washed everything every day. That get's old real fast. The only item I wash on a regular basis is my nose pillow. (weekly), wipe it daily with baby wipe. Unless the other items look dirty, or unclean I don't bother.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:04 am

I had a garden hose for 15 years, never cleaned or dried it out. I even drink out of it with no ill effects. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

CreativeChris

Post by CreativeChris » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:26 am

cuisinartoh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 am
Hi! This is my first post. I've been using CPAP for a month, and I have a pretty good cleaning regime. Each morning I take the cushion, heated hose, and short hose that came with my N20 into the shower with me. I hand clean my mask cushion and the short hose with Mask Brite each morning in the shower. I just rinse the heated hose. I haven't been using the humidifier the last couple of weeks so I don't bother to rinse it. I have the Hurricane dryer that works very well. The hoses do not completely dry on their own by night time without the dryer, even when hanging.

Here's the question: If I travel for one or two nights for work, I don't rinse either hose but I do wash the cushion. I let it air dry. However, when I go camping for a week or more in my travel trailer, I'd like to wash or rinse the hoses and not take the Hurricane with me. Do you have any advice for drying out the hose in a 12 hour timeframe without the Hurricane? I suppose I could use my wife's hair dryer to help it along but that seems time consuming. Do you have any advice for a CPAP & camping newbie?

Thanks!
Wow you're good! I only wash my hose out weekly and put everything in my Hurricane. Weekly cleaning is with Dawn and not Mask Bright, which I use daily. When I am away I only wash the mask and tank daily and don't bother with the hose. That being said, I have only been gone the longest 10 days. When I get home though I clean the hell out of it all Joan Crawford style!

cuisinartoh

Post by cuisinartoh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:12 pm

CreativeChris wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:26 am
Wow you're good! I only wash my hose out weekly and put everything in my Hurricane. Weekly cleaning is with Dawn and not Mask Bright, which I use daily. When I am away I only wash the mask and tank daily and don't bother with the hose. That being said, I have only been gone the longest 10 days. When I get home though I clean the hell out of it all Joan Crawford style!
Taking everything into the shower is easy peasy. It takes 2-3 minutes tops and another 1 minute to load it into the Hurricane. I'll likely keep the regimen going because its a good habit. I might back off a bit on the long hose, however. I suppose even if I'm rinsing every day, then it doesn't matter if I dry or not because nothing is going to grow. Anyway, good advice everyone. Thank you for helping a newb!
--

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:48 pm

cuisinartoh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:12 pm
because its a good habit.
Really? I think you are more likely to contaminate the hose by washing, rinsing and drying.

I'm one of those who never cleans the hose.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:38 pm

If you’re worried that the inside of the hose wont dry, why not hook it up to the machine and run air thru it?

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Barbee wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:38 pm
If you’re worried that the inside of the hose wont dry, why not hook it up to the machine and run air thru it?
She stated she already invested in a Hurricane Dryer.

I'm one of the users who never washes the hose. They last quite a few years, then I replace them. I rarely get any kind of respiratory infection, and then it is mild and short-lived. Knock on wood.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Midnight Strangler wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Barbee wrote:

I'm one of the users who never washes the hose. They last quite a few years, then I replace them. I rarely get any kind of respiratory infection, and then it is mild and short-lived. Knock on wood.
She's(?) talking about not taking the hurricane dryer when traveling

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Midnight Strangler wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Barbee wrote:

you might want to read that again. OP is wondering how to dry house when traveling. the way i read it, the hurricane dryer stays home when she travels.

i'm with you, i washed my hose ONCE. after i learned here it wasn't necessary, haven't cleaned mine in three plus years.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:47 pm

LSAT wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm
She's(?) talking about not taking the hurricane dryer when traveling

You read more than the first paragraph in posts?? That's worse than cleaning your hose every day!

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm

I’ve washed my hose twice in 15 months. Both times I hooked it up to the machine to finish drying it after it hung all day. Total PITA.