I'm trying a dental device option

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lzicc

Re: I'm trying a dental device option

Post by lzicc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 am

I see that now. Look at the upright position. I wonder what that means. I fall asleep on my side but don't know what happens when I am sleeping. It looks like my sleep apnea would not be an issue if I stayed on my side.

It also looks like the main issue with my sleep apnea is obstructive, so the dental device may actually work.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am

lzicc wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 am
Look at the upright position. I wonder what that means.
It was only one minute, so it should be ignored. (Maybe you were sitting up?)

Mogy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:01 am
Has anyone discussed with you the strong element of your 'positional' sleep apnea? When you sleep on your side your AHI is 3.4, on your back your AHI is 28.7.
I find it surprising that it is not mentioned in the interpretation section of the sleep test.
As you transition it would be better if you can sleep on your side for a longer period during the night. I know it is harder than just saying it, but the difference between back sleeping and side sleeping for you is very large.
It would be good to see the sleep stages in the side positions. If he had some long REM periods on his sides, positional therapy might be a good treatment. If no REM periods on his sides, positional therapy would be questionable.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am
It would be good to see the sleep stages in the side positions. If he had some long REM periods on his sides, positional therapy might be a good treatment. If no REM periods on his sides, positional therapy would be questionable.
Looks like a home sleep study minus the EEG leads for figuring out sleep status one way or another.
Sleep stages not available without EEG. Bummer.
My main complaint about this type of home sleep study...no way to know for sure if a person even sleeps much less the sleep stages.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Somewhere on one of his forms, I think it says home study.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:43 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 pm
Somewhere on one of his forms, I think it says home study.
Yeah, it mentions home study but it must have been a type III study and not a type II study.
A type II study pretty much will do all that an in lab sleep study will do but most of the time people only get the type III or even IV.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

It is Labeled as ResMed's ApneaLink Air.
They state "ApneaLink Air automatically analyzes and derives AHI, flow limitation and snoring and later automatically generates a simple, easy-to-interpret report with a color-keyed AHI or Risk Indicator for the clinician to review."
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:47 pm

My biggest concern is that while you can have an overnight sleep test one night, you don't have on-going efficacy monitoring. You can take responsibility for your own "compliance," but you have no objective way of measuring how effective it is.

BTW, make sure that the CPAP remains in good working condition, just in case.

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm

My wife was on cpap for several years then spent $3000 on a dental appliance. after three years and many adjustments her jaw bothered her all the time and she snored as much as she did before CPAP. Now she's back on CPAP.

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:46 am

I just got my results from my current sleep study using the oral device. I'm waiting for them to email me the actual results, but my sleep study therapist told me that the first sleep study I had without using anything, i was not breathing 18 times an hour. With the oral device, I'm down to 3. She said anything under 5 is normal.

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 am

INTERPRETATION:
1. No evidence of Obstructive Sleep Apnea with an overall AHI of 3.0/hr. Central Apneas present
during study with overall index of 0.2/hr.
2. The nadir oxyhemoglobin saturation was 84% with an average saturation throughout the study
of 91%.
3. Valid home sleep study
4. Diagnosis: Normal range nocturnal breathing
Sleep Study New.PNG
Sleep Study New.PNG (65.88 KiB) Viewed 4552 times

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Good result lzicc.
How are you feeling? Is your jaw sore? Are you happy with the MAD?
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.

lzicc

Post by lzicc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:48 pm

No jaw soreness at all. My teeth would get sore the nights I would make an adjustment up, but the soreness would go away by the next day. I got used to the device fairly quick, but I am waking up tired when using the device so I have been using both, the CPAP and Oral applicance until I had to have this last sleep test done which I only wore the appliance.

When I spoke with the sleep therapist that handles the sleep study part, she told me it could take a few months for my body to adjust going from CPAP to the oral appliance. She asked me if I remember how long it took me initially to adjust to sleeping with the CPAP. Thinking back, I was tired all the time when adjusting to it and slept like crap, so it makes sense. It took me months to adjust to CPAP.

The test shows that the oral device is working. I will say this, I have a great sleep dentist. That is all his office does is oral appliances.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Congratulations. I am very happy for you. Dental devices can work well for some people and you were fortunate enough to be one of those people.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:35 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:24 pm
Dental devices can work well for some people and you were fortunate enough to be one of those people.
Does it work?
lzicc wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:48 pm
I got used to the device fairly quick, but I am waking up tired when using the device so I have been using both, the CPAP and Oral applicance

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:39 pm

Hang Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:35 pm
Does it work?
You asking him or me??

Did you care to read what else he said? Like this below? Or are you just wanting to be your usual argumentative self?
lzicc wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:48 pm
When I spoke with the sleep therapist that handles the sleep study part, she told me it could take a few months for my body to adjust going from CPAP to the oral appliance. She asked me if I remember how long it took me initially to adjust to sleeping with the CPAP. Thinking back, I was tired all the time when adjusting to it and slept like crap, so it makes sense. It took me months to adjust to CPAP.