Question for the Wisdom of the Group on Power Failures

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Question for the Wisdom of the Group on Power Failures

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:06 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:48 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:41 pm
Janknitz wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:32 pm
. I was dreading having to research and spend for a marine battery and hookup,
Unless you're on a boat, you DO NOT NEED A MARINE BATTERY.

Mobility scooter batteries are what you need, one or more.
Thanks, that helps. I guess I could go to a DME and get one. Have some research to do in my :lol: spare :lol: time.
Capnloki has it all worked out... Check his profile for the "choosing a battery" thread... A battery, charger, and 12v adapter costs far less than any 'cpap battery', or a DS GO, and can last for days... Add a solar panel, and it'll last as long as there's sun during the day.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 pm

palerider wrote:
Janknitz wrote:

Curious. SInce marine deep cycle batteries are what our noble host recommended to me back in 2012.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 pm
palerider wrote:
Janknitz wrote:

Curious. SInce marine deep cycle batteries are what our noble host recommended to me back in 2012.
*MARINE* batteries, as detailed in Capnloki's thread, are specifically built up to handle the pounding that boats endure, and thus cost more money for the same power capacity. Many people confuse "marine" with "deep cycle", including, apparently, our noble host back in 2012 In fact, as you'll see in capnloki's thread, there are marine deep cycle, and marine *starting* batteries... which are completely unsuited for use as a cpap battery.

Deep Cycle is all you need, and mobility scooter batteries fill that void quite nicely.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:49 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:06 pm
*MARINE* batteries, as detailed in Capnloki's thread, are specifically built up to handle the pounding that boats endure, and thus cost more money for the same power capacity. Many people confuse "marine" with "deep cycle", including, apparently, our noble host back in 2012 In fact, as you'll see in capnloki's thread, there are marine deep cycle, and marine *starting* batteries... which are completely unsuited for use as a cpap battery.

Deep Cycle is all you need, and mobility scooter batteries fill that void quite nicely.
Some of the best traditional batteries made are for the marine market (for example Rolls & Surrette)- and some of of the cheapest (Walmart). Each has a place but as noted, you could easily be led astray with a marine starting battery which would be a poor choice. Also, if you go West Marine (or other marine store) you could easily pay double for a battery. For the record, I use Trojan flooded batteries, marketed primarily to the golf cart world for the house bank, and a pair of Optima "Spiral" AGM starting batteries for starting (one of the few AGMs designed for starting). The only marine batteries I recommend for cpaps are Walmart, when only the cheapest will do! The general best bet are AGM mobility scooter batteries.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:49 pm
The general best bet are AGM mobility scooter batteries.
What would your view be on these lithium-ion batteries? (Yes, they're expensive, but no more than the dedicated CPAP battery I bought some years ago.)

https://shop.travelscoot.com/us/accesso ... 283wh.html

I ask because I have two already in residence, for my Travel Scoot.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:53 pm

The term "air travel approved" caught my eye.
I would totally get the same thing, as the safety aspect appears to have been addressed.
Just make sure the voltage going into the cpap is correct.
No second chances there.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:00 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:49 pm
The general best bet are AGM mobility scooter batteries.
What would your view be on these lithium-ion batteries? (Yes, they're expensive, but no more than the dedicated CPAP battery I bought some years ago.)

https://shop.travelscoot.com/us/accesso ... 283wh.html

I ask because I have two already in residence, for my Travel Scoot.
I'm sure they are fine batteries for the travelscoot, but I couldn't find what their output voltage is, or whether there is an adapter for powering 12V appliances. My guess is that they are 14.8 volts or 18.5 volts so there is potential for an over-voltage situation with your pump.

The roughly equivalent AGM scooter battery is $65 with about another $35-50 for the charger and cables, and it it comes with the ability to jump start a car.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:53 pm
The term "air travel approved" caught my eye.
I would totally get the same thing, as the safety aspect appears to have been addressed.
No second chances there.
"Travel Approved" as an exception when used to power a scooter; normally this size lithium battery is not allowed. I wouldn't guess these are any safer than any other properly designed battery system.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm

No second chances there.
:shock:

OK, now I'm scared. I'm a somewhat intelligent human bean but I never played with electrical stuff before and don't really have time to do my usual "deep dive" into trying to understand.

Think I'm going back to the drive to the nearest motel with electricity plan for now . . .
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:09 pm

CapnLoki wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:08 pm

I'm sure they are fine batteries for the travelscoot, but I couldn't find what their output voltage is, or whether there is an adapter for powering 12V appliances. My guess is that they are 14.8 volts or 18.5 volts so there is potential for an over-voltage situation with your pump.

The roughly equivalent AGM scooter battery is $65 with about another $35-50 for the charger and cables, and it it comes with the ability to jump start a car.
Hmm. https://www.travelscoot.com/air-travel- ... y-scooter/ This page may have some of documentation needed.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:09 pm
CapnLoki wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Hmm. https://www.travelscoot.com/air-travel- ... y-scooter/ This page may have some of documentation needed.
That has lots of information about why the batteries are safe and approved for travel, but not how to use them for powering a pump. In fact, it highlights the fact that they are well over the normal limit and only allowed to power a scooter. I'd be nervous about trying to get them on board without a scooter.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 am

4DA7EEFC-781E-4CB4-B374-87A624076CE8.jpeg
4DA7EEFC-781E-4CB4-B374-87A624076CE8.jpeg (196.12 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
I woke, kind of foggy and confused, about 15 minutes ago, about 1/2 hour after the power went off. Time to grab the Dreamstation Go. Luckily I keep it fully charged. Goodnight everyone.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 am

ragtopcircus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 am
I woke, kind of foggy and confused, about 15 minutes ago, about 1/2 hour after the power went off. Time to grab the Dreamstation Go. Luckily I keep it fully charged. Goodnight everyone.
That's impossible, you're imagining it.. Granny says the power grid is self healing and outages are a thing if the past.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 am
ragtopcircus wrote:
That's impossible, you're imagining it.. Granny says the power grid is self healing and outages are a thing if the past.
Note to self: HMEs suck, but they are (slightly) better than nothing. Since I can’t use the humidifier with the battery, I need to start keeping some on hand for imaginary outages.

Last edited by ragtopcircus on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:57 am

ragtopcircus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 am
palerider wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 am
ragtopcircus wrote:
Note to self: HMEs suck, but they are better than nothing. I can’t use the humidifier with the battery. I need to start keeping some on hand for imaginary outages.
I see two alternatives..
1) get a bigger battery...
2) imagine more humidity.