Pressure high at start

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Usman

Pressure high at start

Post by Usman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 am

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and new to Cpap also.

For first two nights i was having trouble to get used to with mask, but my issue is that from last two nights my cpap initial starting pressure is too high like from 11 to 12 which is causing mask to blow and leaks also with lot of noise and pressure is not letting me sleep peacefully. My cpap machine is only a week old. just to tell you guys in my area we had sand storm and everything was covered in sand. I cleaned my machine but did not touched the filter. Even on removing filter the problem exists. but it worked fine for two days and after that starting creating trouble. Can you people help me on this issue. my doctor kept my cpap settings on auto and warned me not to change settings.
My device: Philips Dream station
My Mask: Philips Amara view

Please help anyone ?

mrcrayola

Re: Pressure high at start

Post by mrcrayola » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:57 am

Hi Usman. Welcome to the club. Can't help you re issues with your machine, but as for sleep, try using the "ramp" feature until you get used to CPAPing. I did and it helped me make the adjustment. Now, I no longer need a ramp. To adjust your machine yourself (most of us do), search the Internet for videos on how to adjust Dreamstation settings to add the ramp. There are some good ones out there for this machine.

Granted, that won't necessarily prevent air leaks at the higher pressure. For that, various people here can suggest different creams and ointments to apply on your face or the mask lining, or actual linings to put on the mask itself. I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment, which has the added benefit of being good for the skin. Some may warn against it, as it may be petroleum-based, but it has not affected my mask integrity to date and I've been using it for quite a while. No leaks.

Hope this helps. Wiser folks may weigh in after me.

Cheers,

MC
Just an average joe on his way from here to there...

katestyles

Post by katestyles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:16 am

Usman wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 am
My cpap machine is only a week old. just to tell you guys in my area we had sand storm and everything was covered in sand. I cleaned my machine but did not touched the filter. Even on removing filter the problem exists. but it worked fine for two days and after that starting creating trouble.
Did the change start right after the sandstorm?
If it did, then I would be tempted to get it checked over by the DME.

If the change happened before the sandstorm, then you will need to give us a lot more information so we can be more helpful.

It would be helpful to know what settings you are using - easiest thing to do is give us a Sleepyhead screenshot, but that will depend on whether you had yourself set up to record the details. There is information at the top of the main page of the Forum.

If not, please give us as much information as you can - settings on the machine, sleep study results, how the machine behaved on the first couple of nights, how you felt.....

Usman

Post by Usman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:12 pm

mrcrayola wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:57 am
Hi Usman. Welcome to the club. Can't help you re issues with your machine, but as for sleep, try using the "ramp" feature until you get used to CPAPing. I did and it helped me make the adjustment. Now, I no longer need a ramp. To adjust your machine yourself (most of us do), search the Internet for videos on how to adjust Dreamstation settings to add the ramp. There are some good ones out there for this machine.

Granted, that won't necessarily prevent air leaks at the higher pressure. For that, various people here can suggest different creams and ointments to apply on your face or the mask lining, or actual linings to put on the mask itself. I use Aquaphor Healing Ointment, which has the added benefit of being good for the skin. Some may warn against it, as it may be petroleum-based, but it has not affected my mask integrity to date and I've been using it for quite a while. No leaks.

Hope this helps. Wiser folks may weigh in after me.

Cheers,

MC
hey!
I searched internet and tried to adjust my machine. my lower ramp was set on 4 and it was locked. I changed it it to 4.5 then 4 again. it started working fine. though i have to check it in night sleep. so in morning i will know if it is working good or not. million times thanks for your reply

Usman

Post by Usman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 pm

katestyles wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:16 am
Usman wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 am
My cpap machine is only a week old. just to tell you guys in my area we had sand storm and everything was covered in sand. I cleaned my machine but did not touched the filter. Even on removing filter the problem exists. but it worked fine for two days and after that starting creating trouble.
Did the change start right after the sandstorm?
If it did, then I would be tempted to get it checked over by the DME.

If the change happened before the sandstorm, then you will need to give us a lot more information so we can be more helpful.

It would be helpful to know what settings you are using - easiest thing to do is give us a Sleepyhead screenshot, but that will depend on whether you had yourself set up to record the details. There is information at the top of the main page of the Forum.

If not, please give us as much information as you can - settings on the machine, sleep study results, how the machine behaved on the first couple of nights, how you felt.....
hey,
after sand storm it worked fine for two days. but now I have adjust ramp. though lower ramp was set on 4 but machine was starting at 11. I changed it to 4.5 then 4 again and it started working fine. now its night here i am sleeping so in morning i would have clear picture if it is working good or not. how to get sleep results ?
bundle of thanks for your reply

mrcrayola

Post by mrcrayola » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Happy to be useful for a change.

Cheers,

MC
Just an average joe on his way from here to there...

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Calling Zonker! Need you!
Can you give her the link to manuals and to Sleepyhead info posting?

Until Zonker replies, the important info we need to get started is posted at the top of the forum. Zonker just has it neatly spelled out in his welcome post.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Chris8243 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:43 pm
Calling Zonker! Need you!
Can you give her the link to manuals and to Sleepyhead info posting?

Until Zonker replies, the important info we need to get started is posted at the top of the forum. Zonker just has it neatly spelled out in his welcome post.
have no fear, zonker's here! :roll:

as you say, links at bottom of this post.

is there anything else i can do?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Usman

Post by Usman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 am

last night my cpap started at normal pressure.
but still i was sleep at day time.
I wana know if there is anyway to check while sleeping last night pressure increased or it remained on 4.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:43 am

Use available software....SleepyHead or Encore Pro to see what the pressure did last night.
See the sticky at the top of the Announcements section for information on where to get SleepyHead.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

katestyles

Post by katestyles » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:45 am

Usman wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 am
I wana know if there is anyway to check while sleeping last night pressure increased or it remained on 4.
Absolutely!

You need to get hold of software that will read the SD card from your CPAP machine.

There is a huge amount of information about how to do this in the links we have posted for you.

Basically, the machine can write data onto an SD card, and you can read the data from that card. You will be able to see exactly what happened with your breathing during the time you were asleep.

Usman

Post by Usman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:08 am

katestyles wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:45 am
Usman wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 am
Absolutely!

You need to get hold of software that will read the SD card from your CPAP machine.

There is a huge amount of information about how to do this in the links we have posted for you.

Basically, the machine can write data onto an SD card, and you can read the data from that card. You will be able to see exactly what happened with your breathing during the time you were asleep.
do i have to install any software on my laptop for this purpose ?
and what is the use of bluetooth on dreamstation

Usman

Post by Usman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:17 am

one more thing please tell. can i see just last night pressure without removing sd card

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:26 am

Usman wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:17 am
one more thing please tell. can i see just last night pressure without removing sd card
You can see a 90% pressure number on the machine's LCD screen without removing the SD card.
90% numbers just mean it was at or below that number for 90% of the night. If it moved off 4...then it will show up there.

You have to go into the clinical setup menu and change "Show AHI" to "on".
The clinical manual explains all this. Do you have it? If not go here and request it.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual
It's not something explained in the typical user manual.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:51 am

Usman wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:08 am
do i have to install any software on my laptop for this purpose ?
and what is the use of bluetooth on dreamstation
[/quote]

Yes, you have to install software called "Sleepyhead" onto your computer. Then you'll put the SD card from your machine into your computer and allow Sleepyhead to import the data. You need to post info from that for people on this forum to analyze what's going on.

Bluetooth is to communicate with an app called "Dreamapper" which you can download to your phone. It gives limited info such as AHI, hours of sleep, compliance rate, maybe leakage - I forget because I deleted the app long ago. Sleepyhead offers a significant amount of data, Dreamapper is extremely limited.