I'm back to Diagnostic Study- Home Study Tonight

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Enchanter

I'm back to Diagnostic Study- Home Study Tonight

Post by Enchanter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:11 pm

The people came over today to set my machine up. They said there will be no titration home study because they don't have a machine for me. They said that they don't do titration at home, it has to be done at the lab. But the only exception would be if you already had a CPAP mask, then the doctor may be able to approve it.

So I will have to go to the lab after this to do the titration, assuming I still have (or do have) sleep apnea. The guy said it may be tough to sleep in lab and he understands my frustration, but says I gotta just keep doing the best I can. And as part of their rules, he confirmed absolutely no sleeping pills during any test and no alcohol either.

The nurse said that just based on my voice, it sounds like I may have large tonsils or sinus issues. She said my oxygen will likely get worse during REM, so felt confident in saying if the tech said I have sleep apnea, then this diagnostic test should also show it. Nonetheless, they have to get a more accurate reading and they can't give me the titration.

So ultimately we're back to square one. Not to mention he said it could take another 45 days just to wait for the mask. But the only positive thing is that at least for the diagnostic test, I can sleep in my own bed tonight.

PS: Palerider, you don't need to reply to all my posts
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

BlackSpinner

Re: I'm back to Diagnostic Study- Home Study Tonight

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:25 pm

WHAT!?! They don't have a simple APAP in their office?
They need 45 days to get a mask!?!

What kind of crap place is this!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:40 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:WHAT!?! They don't have a simple APAP in their office?

it's a fantasy... I don't buy any of it anymore.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:49 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:WHAT!?! They don't have a simple APAP in their office?

Well they don't have a Cpap for sure. The doctor would have had to get approved of that. The guy was slightly confused, but I guess the doctor said I didn't sleep enough to get a good study. This is what I always said. I knew I didn't sleep enough. I have no idea why the tech made me do 2 titrations if the I didn't sleep enough in the diagnostic

postitnote

Post by postitnote » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur, happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr

Sleep well!
Morbius, are you bored?

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:45 am

Enchanter,

With all due respect, this post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Could someone like a family member or friend serve as an advocate for you to get the healthcare that you desperately need?

I hope you take what I say seriously and don't just blow off my post. I am really concerned about you.

49er
Enchanter wrote:The people came over today to set my machine up. They said there will be no titration home study because they don't have a machine for me. They said that they don't do titration at home, it has to be done at the lab. But the only exception would be if you already had a CPAP mask, then the doctor may be able to approve it.

So I will have to go to the lab after this to do the titration, assuming I still have (or do have) sleep apnea. The guy said it may be tough to sleep in lab and he understands my frustration, but says I gotta just keep doing the best I can. And as part of their rules, he confirmed absolutely no sleeping pills during any test and no alcohol either.

The nurse said that just based on my voice, it sounds like I may have large tonsils or sinus issues. She said my oxygen will likely get worse during REM, so felt confident in saying if the tech said I have sleep apnea, then this diagnostic test should also show it. Nonetheless, they have to get a more accurate reading and they can't give me the titration.

So ultimately we're back to square one. Not to mention he said it could take another 45 days just to wait for the mask. But the only positive thing is that at least for the diagnostic test, I can sleep in my own bed tonight.

PS: Palerider, you don't need to reply to all my posts

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:27 am

49er wrote:Enchanter,

With all due respect, this post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Could someone like a family member or friend serve as an advocate for you to get the healthcare that you desperately need?

I hope you take what I say seriously and don't just blow off my post. I am really concerned about you.

49er

Oh I'm not blowing off your post. The thing is that I don't set the rules. These people set the rules. The rules are firm. Maybe it's different in your area.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:50 am

Enchanter wrote:

49er

Oh I'm not blowing off your post. The thing is that I don't set the rules. These people set the rules. The rules are firm. Maybe it's different in your area.
Even supposedly hard core rules may be negotiable. That is why you need an advocate.

49er

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:58 am

49er wrote:
Enchanter wrote:

49er

Even supposedly hard core rules may be negotiable. That is why you need an advocate.

49er

Well, I think I just got about 4 or 5 hours of sleep. So hopefully the machine read everything and now I don't have to do another diagnostic again. If this were at the sleep lab, I would have been sent home before getting to fall asleep. This was my 3rd test and hopefully the next one will be the ''real'' Titration and final.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:49 am

This is a little hard to follow. So what you had last night was an at- home sleep test?
That is what I had, but I had to do it for 3 nights in a row. The dr. who read those results prescribed my pressure settings from the results of the at home study. I never did have a titration test. I guess they all do it differently.

(ok, now I have "soft kitty" playing in my head)

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:52 am

postitnote wrote:Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur, happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr

Sleep well!
Funny, saw a reddit post last night with the same except they had a spelling error...

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/3 ... fur_happy/
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Vermonter

Post by Vermonter » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:23 pm

I encourage anyone who going in for a sleep study to call around and ask about turn around times and rules before you schedule or have your Primary Physician schedule any sleep study. Some Sleep Centers' equipment is not up to date, or have limited staff to handle the patients coming in the door.

I'm a perfect example.

It took 2 months in order for me to get my sleep study, then due to inadequate staffing it took 8 weeks to get the results. (Results ready in 6 weeks but took 2 weeks to see the sleep Doctor in person). Then it took 1 month to schedule the titration study and then another 7 weeks to get those results. (Same inadequate staffing, results ready in 6 weeks but took 1 week to fax to DME). The whole process took 6- 7 months.

Being totally oblivious on how Sleep Centers worked, I naively thought this is the way it's done. However, I found out later if I just drove a couple hours away to Dartmouth, the WHOLE process could have been done in less than 3-4 weeks. Dartmouth is now my Sleep Center of choice!

Call around.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Okay -- I admit I probably missed something along the way here, but I am THOROUGHLY confused. I read the original post in this thread 4 times and still do not understand what is going on.

Maybe I'm just stupid.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Me, too. It's the weekend. Brain took a day off.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:38 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Me, too. It's the weekend. Brain took a day off.
Whew. At least it's not just me. I was getting concerned about my mental abilities.