Getting hot wearing mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
biobabs

Getting hot wearing mask

Post by biobabs » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:00 pm

I have just started on the cpap the past two weeks. Sleeping pretty good with the nasal mask, but now we are having very unusually warm (82 degrees today) weather, and I find the mask and straps to be causing me to be hot while trying to sleep. Any suggestions?

Goofproof

Re: Getting hot wearing mask

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 pm

A/C unit, I use a window unit set as low as it will go 64 degrees. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:35 am

As weird as this seems, I find a liner/cosy used with my nasal pillow mask keeps me cooler if I can get as much of the silicone parts off my skin.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a cooling pillow (Chillow is one brand) for summer months.

Cheers,
xena

Kody

Post by Kody » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:15 am

Oh I thought this thread was about something else..... never mind...
Complex Sleep Apnea

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 am

I started CPAP at the end of December when the weather was cold. It seemed to me that as soon at I lay down with my CPAP I started to get warm so I thought that maybe the heated air was keeping me warm. I like to sleep in a cool bedroom and keep my thermostat at 58 at night. I do notice that I get warmer now than I used to. Is it the heated air? I'm not really sure what temp the heated air is coming in at but I was told it is heated so it won't be a shock to the lungs. I just keep throwing the covers off. Does the heated air make a difference?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 am

Bad Kody! No biscuit!
On to the real problem:
Pad a Cheek or Rem-zzz's have mask liners you can buy;
or you can make your own out of an old, clean, soft t-shirt.
Trace around the cushion onto a piece of paper, draw another line about a half inch outside the first line.
Fold your paper down the middle, matching outside lines, and cut on the outside line (making it symmetrical)
With the paper folded match the fold with the center of your cushion,
and mark the paper pattern about 3/8" smaller than the inside edge of the cushion.
Cut out this center hole on the paper (away from your cushion).
Use this pattern to cut a piece of t-shirt; place this pear-shaped cloth donut on the cushion, and put the mask on.
If you need to do any trimming, do it AWAY FROM THE MASK. I learned the hard way.

tschultz

Post by tschultz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am

What we really need, along with those heated hoses to get rid of the condensation, is a water cooled mask.

I know me this is one of the biggest downsides to the treatment - I do not tolerate the heat at all and see my numbers and sleep reflected in that.

Adjusting to life with OSA and being pressurized each night ...

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am

The WATER is heated in the humidifier so it will vaporize. The air you breathe is warm only as a side effect of humidification. The room-temp air you breathe all day doesn't "shock" your lungs. Some like it warm, others don't. Those who don't, use either pass-over or no humidification... It's a comfort feature and has no bearing on therapy.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 am

Brrrrrr!!!!!
Goofproof wrote:A/C unit, I use a window unit set as low as it will go 64 degrees. Jim

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am

What is your humidity set at. Perhaps if you don't need a higher humidity for nasal congestion, you could turn that down or even turn it off.
biobabs wrote:I have just started on the cpap the past two weeks. Sleeping pretty good with the nasal mask, but now we are having very unusually warm (82 degrees today) weather, and I find the mask and straps to be causing me to be hot while trying to sleep. Any suggestions?

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

Kairosgrammy wrote:What is your humidity set at. Perhaps if you don't need a higher humidity for nasal congestion, you could turn that down or even turn it off.
biobabs wrote:I have just started on the cpap the past two weeks. Sleeping pretty good with the nasal mask, but now we are having very unusually warm (82 degrees today) weather, and I find the mask and straps to be causing me to be hot while trying to sleep. Any suggestions?
First, congrats on sleeping well in only 2 weeks! Some are not so fortunate. Someone already mentioned turning down the humidity- that can bother me a bit. The other idea thrown out during summer is using cooled water in the humidifier. I keep a smaller bottle of distilled water in the refrig. It at least allows one to fall asleep to cooler humid air; I find it comfortable that way in dry west Texas. Keep up the positive progress.

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.

Sleepy Taz

Post by Sleepy Taz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 am

I have a fan blowing directly on my face. It does the job nicely.
"I can't do anything about the past. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. What matters is the present. And, just in case tomorrow should never come, I'm going to use the present as constructively as I can."

Kody

Post by Kody » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Yes I agree the pass over humidification method can keep things much cooler under the mask. However it's not without it's problems either.
I find I get very "fragmented sleep" patterns going when I'm constantly getting up and going to the fridge for more ice cubes to jam into my humidifier. Plus the added hassle of constantly having to refill the ice cube tray with distilled water then hoping they freeze fast enough for the next round. Hard to believe I get any sleep at all doing this.

<see what happens when you encourage me Chunkyfrog>...
Complex Sleep Apnea

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Going to try the ice cubes soon!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Maxie wrote:Going to try the ice cubes soon!
Cool water or ice cubes in HH with it turned down or off, will cause sweating of the HH, allowing water to form in the HH electronics, leading to failed circuits. I use my HH with no water and heat turned off. (It acts as a muffler) Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire