Replacing parts on Air sense 11

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LorG

Replacing parts on Air sense 11

Post by LorG » Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:39 am

I’ve men using the machine for 2 months now. Wondering if everyone actually replaces hoses and headgear every 3 months as suggested? Seems like this is a lot of money to have to spend every 3 months!

mpeg2

Re: Replacing parts on Air sense 11

Post by mpeg2 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 6:40 am

The recommended replacement schedule is partly CYA & partly a way to get more money for the DME's. Initially, as a newbie, I thought there might be some valid reason for the recommendations - but then after a little experience & a lot of learning from this group, I'm following a different schedule - replace things when they break or degrade in performance, rather than on a fixed schedule.

I'm still using my original hose from 2 years ago. I had to replace the first humidifier tank a short while ago, since I managed to crack it & it leaked a little. I replaced the headgear when the straps stretched & the velcro got iffy. The cushion is probably the part that needs the most replacements - I replace mine when I start to get a lot of leaks or have trouble adjusting the fit so that I get good results - this turns out to be about every 3-4 months (I use the Airfit F20 FF mask).

Your results will probably differ, based on your usage - but I think the old adage - "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" works quite well here.

I do suggest that it would be a good idea to have a spare for everything so if something does need replacement, you'll have it on hand.

Rich

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:44 am

Who's suggesting to replace supplies? The people selling you the supplies.

The next time you are elligible for supplies, order them, but leave them in the package, and keep using them. Do it again, now you have a two sets of spares.

Keep using the originals until, they break or wear out.

Help keep prices down, and don't contribute to landfills.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:44 pm

LorG wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:39 am
I’ve men using the machine for 2 months now. Wondering if everyone actually replaces hoses and headgear every 3 months as suggested? Seems like this is a lot of money to have to spend every 3 months!
My mask is two years old, and the hose is nearly five years old. Make sure to keep a backup, new mask and hose. And a backup machine.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Cuando cuentes cuentos, cuenta cuántas cuentos cuentas.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:05 pm

Everyone stole my thunder.
I like to keep 2 backup hoses 2 backup water chambers and since most DMEs don't like to stock or even order my Sleepweaver 3D mask I like to keep several on the shelf. I also keep a backup/travel machine.
I have lots of filters, but I just discovered Amazon sells a 60 pack of Hypoallergenic filters for $18.

cpapsnorechild

Post by cpapsnorechild » Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:05 pm

bwexler wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:05 pm
Everyone stole my thunder.
They stole my thunder also, where I find the hoses last years (I only clean them once every few months in a re-used 5-gallon Costco laundry bucket of soapy bleach).
After a few years, the hoses develop pinpoint leaks at the end that connects to the machine (a rotating elbow helps somewhat to alleviate the localized stress).

The machine air filters?
I just leave them until they're obviously dirty and then I wash them and re-use them.
Once in a while I find new foam to replace them with.
But rarely do I worry about them as the machine works without them as far as I can tell.

The two parts that MUST be periodically replaced are the cushion against your face (which gets sticky after a few years of use) and the stretchy velcro headgear (which is designed to fall apart within a year or so).
Personally, I think they design both to fail as you can get OSHA respiratory masks for far less that don't fall apart like the F&P Eson 2 that I use does.
poor_design.jpg
poor_design.jpg (440.23 KiB) Viewed 2690 times